• Advertisement

Early season scouting

Lets Talk Archery..

Early season scouting

Postby bigsteve » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:49 am

Thought I would share some of the things I look for in the early season to be successful it's usually hot and deer patterns are usually easy to take advantage of.
1. Food I try to identify what food source the deer are targeting most
(Muscadines)early they are usually gone by Oct 15th
(Persimmons ) as soon as they start falling till they are gone
(Red oak) some varieties of red oak fall very early second week of Sept
(Live oaks ,water oak,willow oak etc.) Also fall early
(Agriculture crops )
(Summer food plots)
Scout these areas identify trails leading to and from these food supplies trails are usually easy to identify before the leaves fall bedding areas are usually close to the food this time of the year
Deer sightings will tell you there is a food source close if you see a buck chances are he isn't alone they are in bachelor groups
Rubs will tell you bucks are using the area
Deer will usually use the same areas year after year as long as there is food available
These early patterns will change toward the middle to the first November
Food supplies change ,bucks ,break up bachelor groups
White Oaks start to fall I have seen deer quit all other food for white oak acorns
Scrapes start. Showing up don't get caught up in targeting these early scrapes some are a one time affair when the tostrone starts to rise bucks will mark their respective territory but they let you know a buck is using a certain area of food source these are some of the tools I use and may be helpful to you good hunting

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Re: Early season scouting

Postby RoadRanger » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:44 am

When does the Big Steve guide to whitetails book hit the shelves??? I would like to pre-pay for my copy if at all possible. Also , If you plan on doing a online version I would rather have that so I can always use it as a reference while on the go. Thank you for tips. I personally keep them in my mind and use them while in the field and scouting
RoadRanger
Pope&Young

Return to Archery