• Advertisement

Tips on buying a crossbow

Lets Talk Archery..

Tips on buying a crossbow

Postby deepwaterwolf » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:17 pm

Due to a surgery I just had I am unable to pull my bow back. However I can't stand seeing all yall hunting while I am on the mend. So I have decided to go buy a crossbow so I can hit the woods. I know nothing about crossbows other than I know I want a light weight crossbow. Please give me a few good tips on buying one, Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. Psalm 42:1
deepwaterwolf
8 Point

Re: Tips on buying a crossbow

Postby triple_duece » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:09 pm

Check them all out. They vary some. They are like bows, you won't know until you hold and shoot them. Things to consider....
Weight
Width of limbs
Poundage
Anti dry fire
Price
triple_duece
10 Point

Postby Mud Monster » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:58 pm

Whats your budget? Look into reverse draw. You will be limited on selection and pruce goes up a bit bit balance and fit make it all worth it. As far as Im concerned throw old school xbow out and start over.
Mud Monster
Spike

Postby jv » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:11 pm

Like said there are many choices to choose from. I got my first one this year and so far love it. I chose the Barrnett mainly because of the price just to see if I would like a crossbow to hunt with or not and I any very satisfied with it and see no need at this time to get a different one.
Just go somewhere that stocks a good many different ones and get the feel of them.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby patinlouisiana » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:56 pm

I also am thinking about getting one and the best thing I had heard so far is to keep noise in mind. I'm told they can be very loud and that on any shot over 30 yards there is a strong chance the deer will jump string? Have any of you had this experience?
2017-2018 member Team 4
.257 Weatherby Magnum W/4x16 X 50 Nikon Monarch
T/C Encore 35 Whelen W/Leupold VX-I 3-9 x 50
S&W M&P 15 Sport II 5.56
Ruger Blackhawk 357 Mag W/Millet Red Dot
Canon PowerShot SX40HS
patinlouisiana
Pope&Young

Postby Allisonboatsms » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:04 am

Excalibur Micro ... All needs said.
By the pricking of my thumbs...Something wicked this way comes.
Ruger M77 HAWKEYE 25-06 .. DEATH FROM AFAR.

TEAM 5
Allisonboatsms
6 Point

Postby bigsteve » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:31 am

I bought an Excalibur matrix on eBay for $429 free shipping bow shoots fantastic not as loud as the compound crossbows shoots 300fps only shot one deer at 25yds performed flawless and is a lot lighter than my compound pat learned a long time ago with archery tackle keep your shots 25 yds or less and you will bring the success rate easy up having g taken several deer with a crossbow I haven't had a problem with them jumping the string but as I said I wait for my shot I have a Barnett raptor and a Excalibur receive they both shoot well as far as scopes I like the red dot the best I have a scope with iluminatesd cross hairs still prefer the red dot the broad head I shoot is the rage hypodermic and carbon express pile driver arrows

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Return to Archery