• Advertisement

Back At It

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Back At It

Postby terry08 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:35 am

Jeremy, went home yesterday. So I am back in the woods again. Nothing yet, if I was fishing, I would just change bait. Not so easy to do for deer.
He did not leave empty handed. Gave him a hindquarter, two shoulders, back strap and neck roast, from the doe. Also took a frozen turkey, Boston butt, and fresh made whole hog sausage. Plus 4 bags of my rub and a bag of tender quick. Now I need to kill or starve.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Re: Back At It

Postby chadbragg » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:54 am

Sounds like I need to come for a hunt...... I'll sit on the porch as long as I get all those vittles....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:21 pm

Starve, may be the operative word. Batting one out of three, as of today. Got to get this figured out.
On paper, all is fine.

In the shack two missed bucks.

Where the 1 & 2, are is where each was standing broad side.

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:31 pm

Buck fever, you never get immuned to it and if you do its time to quit anyway.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby jbullard1 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:32 pm

were you on the phone?
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby terry08 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:51 pm

jbullard1 wrote:were you on the phone?

Yes, this morning I was on Msdeer.net at 8:25, looked up and there he stood 8 points. Laid the phone down. Threw the reading glasses on the floor and still had plenty time to settle the cross hairs on the front shoulder, gently squeeze the trigger. And another miss, that word has never been in my vocabulary.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby missed mallards » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:11 pm

Terry08 I've read where you don't get blood from your .270.

I shoot a 270 myself and have never had a deer not bleed. Never had one take a step.

The reason I decided to say something. A guy I hunted with last year shot 2and had no blood. Presumed missed. This was with a 270. We ended up finding both within 200 yards just a few days later. He found some new projectiles.

Then again hope it was buck fever!

missed mallards
button buck

Postby jv » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:53 pm

I have never had a problem with the 270

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:37 pm

This is not about the 270. I have hit and recovered every deer I have shot with it.
Think I just need to settle down a bit

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby missed mallards » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:23 pm

Settling down always helps! My scopes reticle moves quite a bit itself.

I wasn't trying to start anything about the 270 as a caliber. I know that seems to get started every year (on any site you read) and that wasn't my intentions. I love the caliber itself. Have taken a variety of animals with mine and haven't ever had a problem with it.

missed mallards
button buck

Postby terry08 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:14 am

missed mallards, which ammo do you shoot? After killing the doe opening day, which only went 30 yds no blood. Then missing I guess what was most likely the biggest I have ever had the opportunity to shoot. I switched to the Remington Core lock. From the federal deer thugs. The difference on paper was about a half inch drop which I adjusted my windage 1 click and elevation 3. I know I can dial them in tighter than the target shows. Just don't want to shoot a lot in my hunting area.
When I choose the team name THE BUCK STOPS HERE, I had no idea he was also going to leave here.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:14 pm

What grain bullet are you shooting? The 150 grain Remington core lock will do a number on a deer. I never liked the 130 grain one because of the problem you are having with no blood trail. I hope you get it figured out before the next buck walks out.

Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:24 pm

glenn wrote:What grain bullet are you shooting? The 150 grain Remington core lock will do a number on a deer. I never liked the 130 grain one because of the problem you are having with no blood trail. I hope you get it figured out before the next buck walks out.

Glenn, that's what I am using. The 130 grain may need to try the 150 for good blood and knock down. I never shot a
. 270 , until three years ago, it was on sale and could not pass up the price. Never intended to use it but after 5 out of 5 dead in the bull, I decided to use it. I recovered every deer shot, but had to find everyone with no blood and all were perfect heart shots.
I can't blame the rifle on buck fever. I can accept a miss but just want knock down on a good shot.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby missed mallards » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:46 pm

I shoot 150 grain Remington corelocks. Ive shot a lot of brands at paper but those are the ones I reach for. There may be better, I just trust them.

missed mallards
button buck

Postby jv » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:51 pm

I like the 150 grain core locks myself and have used them for many years.

jv
Pope&Young

Postby brewer03 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:09 pm

I shot the 130 gr core locts for years but I had a great trailing dog and after she passed I wasn't finding blood nor was I getting the knock downs which while I had a jam up dog didn't mind... I switched to the 150 grain and every deer with the exception of 2 have landed where they were standing. the 2 that didn't was poor shot placement..
Triple Threat 2015- 2016

Serious Six 2014-2015

Rajun Sardis Bucks
2013-2014 deer hunting champs

life is great the oppurtunity to hunt and fish make it even better
brewer03
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:01 pm

Terry, I think most people go to the 130 grain because it is a sexier looking bullet. A nice sharp point compared to the round nose ugly 150 grain. Yes, you might give up a little at longer ranges, but I haven't really seen it. With the 130 my experience was that if you didn't hit a bone it went through so fast it didn't have time to expand, thus a tiny hole and no blood. The 150 is like hitting them with a bat, it puts a thumping on them. Usually there is a hole the size of your fist on the exit. I think you will like them. I tried almost every bullet out there for it, trying to get better. I finally figured out to go back to the beginning. That 150 is where they got the name "the deadliest mushroom in the woods". It really is, and the best part it is about the cheapest too.

Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:55 am

Glenn, when I shot a 30/06. All I used was a 150 gr. I have been shooting for years and reloaded for many years. When I purchased the 270, everyone said use the 130 grain. I must show my ignorance here. I didn't even know they made a 150, for the 270. But will have a box before the rut kicks in. Thanks for the info.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:26 am

I too had issues with the 130 gr bullet in 270 I only hunted one season with that cal sold the riffle I liked the 165 gr in 30/06 I shoot 140 gr in my 7mm 08 I think the heavier bullet is the best choice I shoot Winchester supreme amo it has never failed me just my preference

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion