• Advertisement

Sons got his first!

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Sons got his first!

Postby buckcrazy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:12 pm

I don't know if you guys remember me posting about 4 years ago a pic of my youngest son after a bad first shooting experience.
My son was hunting with my father and didn't want to bring his gun, he just wanted to sit with his paw paw and watch him shoot a deer. Lo and behold a nice doe stepped out and my dad put my son on his lap and let my then 8 year old shoot his .270
After the shot I radioed my dad and asked if he got the deer and he says no that it was my son who shot but he missed and got scoped. I proceeded to ask if he was alright and he said yeah he's fine.
Twenty minutes goes by and he radios back to me and says " I'm taking him to the house to take care of his eye because he's bleeding". I said I thought he was fine and he says yeah he is. I leave the stand at dark and when I walked into the house my dad had bandaids all over my sons eye and has the most pitiful look on his face. I told him why'd you let him shoot , you know that guns to big for him. His reply was I wanted him to shoot his first deer with me. I couldn't be to mad because that was a great reason and now that my father has passed away I wish it would've worked out for the both of them. The memory of taking your first deer would have lasted him a lifetime and to share it with someone you look up to would've been that much better. Ever since then he's been nervous and scared of getting hit again so he hasn't been to enthusiastic about shooting a deer.

This weekend he got his first deer and it wasn't without drama. The deer came out at 5:00 and started piddling around the plot but behind some trees and limbs that were in the way. Almost 15 minutes or so goes by and I picked out a hole and the deer steps into. It's getting darker by the second mind you. I throw his ear muffs on and tell him where his cheek should be and make sure you have it tucked in. His knees were shaking so bad the stand was rattling, or it could've been mine that was shaking. I was as nervous as he was. He says he's ready and pulls the trigger and click! I just bought new ammo the night before and the new one don't go off. I take the gun and remove the bullet and put another one in. He steadies the rifle and pulls the trigger and click again! I'm thinking this just isn't meant to be.
I dig through my bag and found an older round from last year for his .243 and throw it in the chamber. He gets ready and says he's got it on him and pulls the trigger and BOOM! Dead deer! It was a 65lb button buck. I don't know who was more excited me or him. Love taking kids hunting for that same reason. I told him how proud I was and we climb down and go see the deer. I'm standing over the deer taking his pic and had a tear in my eye thinking how proud my dad would be and my son looks at me and says " I wish paw paw was here to see it and says you think he'd be proud?".
I almost lost it at that point and said "son I know he's proud of you and he was here with us, why you think all the things that went bad for us all came together and worked out for you". Anyway just wanted to share this little story because I'm really proud of him for the way he's handled himself through it all. From losing his grandpa ,to finally getting to experience the thrill of the hunt and the maturity that even a 12 year old showed through the process was an awesome experience for me.
Sorry for the long story but I'm a proud dad right now.

This is from when he got scoped a few years ago, poor fellow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Re: Sons got his first!

Postby glenn » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:14 am

Now that I see the picture, yes I do remember that. I have no doubt your dad is proud of him. Congratulations to all 3 of you!

Your story brought back lots of memories of hunting with my dad from him taking care of me, to me taking care of him and everything in between.

Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:51 am

Man, what a story. Hell, I had to wipe a tear just reading it.
Congratulations to all of you, especially paw paw, who was sitting right there with you.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:04 am

By the way, what ammo was misfiring. I had two click on me Saturday. But think it was me not bolting properly.

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Sons got his first!

Postby buckcrazy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:53 am

They were Hornady .243 95gr SST. I just bought them Friday evening at Gander Mountain in Hattiesburg on the way to my uncles place. My son shoots a Rossi crack barrel and I've known them to have their issues with different things. Both primers were struck and indented like they should have. I'm bringing it to a gunsmith this morning to have it checked out but I would have been really upset for him if it didn't all work out. Just adds to the story I guess. Like I said before, he really doesn't shoot the gun much but we sighted it in before youth weekend and put about 8-10 shots through it with ammo from last year and they all worked fine. Thank goodness I had one single bullet left in my backpack from last year. I like to think that maybe Ol pops put it in there to give us a little help

"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby terry08 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:07 am

buckcrazy wrote:They were Hornady .243 95gr SST. I just bought them Friday evening at Gander Mountain in Hattiesburg on the way to my uncles place. My son shoots a Rossi crack barrel and I've known them to have their issues with different things. Both primers were struck and indented like they should have. I'm bringing it to a gunsmith this morning to have it checked out but I would have been really upset for him if it didn't all work out. Just adds to the story I guess. Like I said before, he really doesn't shoot the gun much but we sighted it in before youth weekend and put about 8-10 shots through it with ammo from last year and they all worked fine. Thank goodness I had one single bullet left in my backpack from last year. I like to think that maybe Ol pops put it in there to give us a little help

I have to believe that he definitely had a hand in it.
Mine were 270 Remington, I took them to boogar, at Veterans Gun Works where I bought them. Had no indents in them.
Seems that I didn't bolt properly, enough to set the trigger but not enough to set the firing pin on the bolt. Just not my year. One mistake after the other.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby buckcrazy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:29 am

That leads to another question, what to do with the ammo after I take it out. After each bullet didn't go off I took it out about 10 seconds later. I set them on the floor of the shooting house but after all was said and done I didn't feel comfortable bringing them back with us so I left them in the woods near the stand until I find a better solution. What is the proper thing to do in this situation? I have had it happen before and just threw them in the woods because I was aggravated but as I am older and hopefully wiser now I know its not the best thing to do.

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby bigsteve » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:08 am

Terry my granddaughter has an axis In 7mm08 she had a misfire and after checking the gun we determined the bolt was the culprit if it isn't totally closed the gun will not fire cost her the largest buck of her life I don't Know about the Rossi but I know several people who have had issues with the encore firing pin not striking the primer resulting in a miss fire

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby terry08 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:12 am

buckcrazy wrote:That leads to another question, what to do with the ammo after I take it out. After each bullet didn't go off I took it out about 10 seconds later. I set them on the floor of the shooting house but after all was said and done I didn't feel comfortable bringing them back with us so I left them in the woods near the stand until I find a better solution. What is the proper thing to do in this situation? I have had it happen before and just threw them in the woods because I was aggravated but as I am older and hopefully wiser now I know its not the best thing to do.

They should be fine. I would think it's the firing pin not hitting hard enough. I doubt Hornady would have bad primers. But it's possible. You could pull the bullet and dump the powder, then discard it.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby Curlyjack » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:28 am

Congrats to your son and You!
"TEAM 8 Antler Addicts"

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday. " John Wayne
Curlyjack
Non-Typical

Postby jv » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:44 am

Great story and congratulations to both of you
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:47 am

Congrats to yall both .. Definitely making memories, and cherishing those you already have
gtk
Admin

Postby flipper » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:26 am

Wonderful touching story. So so happy for him......and you! Is he ready to go again?

2016-2017 *Team 8* ANTLER ADDICTS

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby dublelung » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:35 am

Congrats on your son's first deer!
I still hate Commies, even after they changed their name to Liberals.
dublelung
Non-Typical

Postby buckcrazy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:41 am

Oh yeah flipper. Said he ain't scared no more. Wants to go this weekend but with Christmas it ain't happening.

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby leepurvis » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:45 pm

Congrats to both of you. I love reading these stories about a kid's first deer. Brings back good memories of when my son was young enough to sit with Dad.
Lee

"Dear Life, when I said "Can my day get any worse?" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge"- Will Ferrell

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” Thomas Paine
leepurvis
Pope&Young

Postby LadyHunter » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:46 am

Congratulations to both of you. This is the stuff memories are made of. Rest assured that your dad was there with you. Now on to the next one!

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby dustygoodson » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:12 pm

congrats
dustygoodson