• Advertisement

They will always be our little boys

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

They will always be our little boys

Postby glenn » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:23 am

Reading buckcrazy's post about his son and father brings back memories of mine. As long as my dad knew what was going on, I was still his baby boy, even in my 50's and he would do just about anything to bring a smile to my face. He felt the same way about my son and all of his other grandkids. Things he passed on to me I try to pass on too. Both knowledge and values.

I've talked about my 27 year old son on here before and how proud I am of him. He takes handicapped kids hunting and really just about anyone that doesn't get to go and wants to, he will take them. He got married in September and changed jobs in October, so he doesn't get much time to hunt now. Even so, he has taken one of his 11 year old cousins that had never killed a deer with him this year and she got her first one. He was as excited as if he had killed a monster, just like his PawPaw always was with him. I figure Pawpaw was along for that one too.

With circumstances being what they are for him this year, Sunday he asked me where I thought he should hunt Monday morning before he goes on nights working Monday night. I'm at work working nights myself so I told him to go to one of my favorite spots. He usually won't go there leaving it for me, but he has learned when I tell him to go somewhere it's usually a good idea, so he agreed that he would.

Monday morning at 7:33 my phone rang with a picture close behind. He killed a 10 point. A main frame 8 with 2" stickers coming off the back side by his brow times. Even though he is gone, his Pawpaw was right there beside him grinning from ear to ear just like I was, 400 miles away. I didn't sleep much, but that's ok, my baby boy got him a pretty good one.

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Re: They will always be our little boys

Postby jv » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:34 am

Great story and a nice deer
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:08 am

Congrats to him

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby buckcrazy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:44 am

That's awesome, great story and you have every right to be proud of your son. Congrats to him and congrats to you for raising the kind of son we need more of in this world.
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby Curlyjack » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:01 am

Congrats to him!
"TEAM 8 Antler Addicts"

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday. " John Wayne
Curlyjack
10 Point

Postby chadbragg » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:49 am

That's an awesome story. My dad has never been much of a hunter or fisherman, he has worked 60+ hrs a week for as long as I can remember. He doesn't even use his vacation days. When I was growing up he was into it just enough to get me interested. I learned most of what I know just from being in the woods and Ol Melvin on MS outdoors. You guys have some awesome memories for sure! And I'm glad I can share this type of thing with my son!

TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:17 pm

That's such a great write up Pardner! Congratulations to him and you. That is a beautiful buck for sure!

2016-2017 *Team 8* ANTLER ADDICTS

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby glenn » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:29 am

Thanks everyone. I guess the main reason I posted this is to let buckcrazy and everyone else know that the feelings of excitement and joy over a child's first deer doesn't diminish just because they grow up. The thrill will always be there.

Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:45 am

for those of you who have good relationships with your sons, cherish it !
gtk
Admin

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion