• Advertisement

It is Over

It is Over

Postby flipper » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:47 pm

The rut is a thing of the past. I say that because of what I saw yesterday afternoon. I was headed to the Bottom Stand. On the way across the pasture towards Walesheba Creek, I spotted 4 antlerless deer. They ran across the creek and I could see them through the trees heading north. I crossed the creek and walked inside the tree line towards my stand. I saw a big bodied deer grazing in the inlet to the Back Bean Field. I scoped it and saw that it was a really nice buck. The 4 does/fawns walked right by him and he never looked up. Then another buck came out, much smaller than the big one. He headed towards the big one and I just knew I was going to see a fight. Nope. They both just grazed on the acorns. I eased my way on towards the stand, but decided to stay on the ground so I could try to size up the big deer better and not spook him. They grazed for a long time and then the big one went into the woods north of my stand. After a little bit, he came back out and angled towards the woods to the west. After a bit more, he came back out and went south through the field directly west of my stand. At this point he was about 200 yards away. I was still trying to size up those antlers. They looked heavy, but I couldn't tell exactly how many points and it wasn't a really wide rack, but nice and tall. He made and abrupt turn and went back into the woods on the west side of that field. I figured that was the last of him that I would see, but no, he came back out and was angling north, crossing the terrace and back into the bottom field. He milled around there for a bit and then went east into the woods, throwing his nose up in the air every so often. Then...... he came back out and was headed straight for me. That is when I realized this was a deer I had gotten on camera and wanted to get a shot at. He kept coming. I had my gun up, I took the safety off, I had the crosshairs on his chest and even with me freehanding, he was so close that the crosshairs didn't move off of him. But I decided not to shoot. I'm not sure why. He was definitely better than the other two bucks I had taken. Any of our neighbors would shoot him given half the chance. I don't know, but it just didn't feel right. I'm okay with decision, but if I see him again, I may let one fly. I haven't gotten anything better than him on camera, except maybe the 10 point that was messing around at the end of our driveway, but it's highly likely he's a gonner since he came from the neighbor's place to the south. It was really a thrilling experience to be that close to that buck though. He was at least within 40 yards before he finally saw me and loped off. What a blast!!!!
2016-2017 *Team 8* ANTLER ADDICTS

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Re: It is Over

Postby terry08 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:37 am

Guess I can clean the rifles, and oil up the fishing reels. Flipper, said it is over.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby LadyHunter » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:33 am

Flipper, sometimes it is not about pulling the trigger, sometimes it is just about the hunt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:00 am

terry08 wrote:Guess I can clean the rifles, and oil up the fishing reels. Flipper, said it is over.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

As warm as it is fixing to be, that may be a good idea. However, I could have had my biggest buck of the season with no rut activity going on. Still, fishing sounds good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:01 am

LadyHunter wrote:Flipper, sometimes it is not about pulling the trigger, sometimes it is just about the hunt.

You're so right! You can ask my husband how excited I was when I got home from that hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:06 am

Might try a few more times. Just not mad at them right now. Saw a fine buck just standing in the field across from the shack Sunday morning , while heading to Benton. Also a doe came across the road like her tail was on fire.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:39 am

Sounds like a great hunt regardless .. and ditto what bigsteve said.. hunting isn't all about killing

i doubt your rut is over, but it may be in a "lull".. i saw a good buck chasing does across a field this am in Memphis.
gtk
Admin

Postby patinlouisiana » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:10 am

I for one hope it is not over!
I have yet to see a buck while hunting :(
2017-2018 member Team 4
.257 Weatherby Magnum W/4x16 X 50 Nikon Monarch
T/C Encore 35 Whelen W/Leupold VX-I 3-9 x 50
S&W M&P 15 Sport II 5.56
Ruger Blackhawk 357 Mag W/Millet Red Dot
Canon PowerShot SX40HS
patinlouisiana
Pope&Young

Postby LadyHunter » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:00 pm

patinlouisiana wrote:I for one hope it is not over!
I have yet to see a buck while hunting :(

I have not either. I have seen lots of does. But I have not seen a buck from the stand.

To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Return to Flippers Journal