• Advertisement

Cold weather weekend hunt.

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Postby triple_duece » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:30 am

My son Hunter has been hunting very hard this year. He's very passionate about bow hunting and public hunting. He went to the camp before the ice/snow storm. Took my boat to have river access and plenty of options on where to hunt. He was seeing deer and passing deer with his bow (he only has two kills with his bow). We discuss hunting tactics all the time and I tell him he has his sights set too high but he's ok with that lol.

His hunting buddy that is still in school, came to the house to pick up hunters package that contains a GoPro. I told Ryan to be very careful cause the roads were iced over. He made it safe to the camp. The next morning was very cold so off they went to the nearby wma with muzzleloader. If y'all remember me posting a couple weeks ago about hunter scouting a new spot and walking up on 3 snakes, but found a big bucks core area.

That morning Hunter put Ryan in his tree and decided to go somewhere else because the wind was wrong for the other tree. Hunter got a text from Ryan that he just shot a monster! Hunter loaded up and drove over to Ryan where his big buck laid. Image

High fives and hugs along with a celebration occurred. They got the buck out and headed to the camp. I was just getting off work and called Hunter to make sure he took plenty of pics.

I had ice on the roads driving up and this was Sunday morning, so I took my time. Hunter had caped the deer for mounting. Arrived at camp and the pics didn't revel how nice the buck was. Heavy mass with not much tine length and a 20" spread. The BBQ pit was lit and fresh back strap was prepared to go on it. Image
This was the first wave as it was consumed as it came off.

On the way up I could hear the excitement in Hunters voice but also could hear some disappointment. I told him hey this stuff happens. Be proud you found the sign, did all the legwork and shared it w a new lifelong hunting buddy. You was just as much a part of killing the buck without pulling the trigger. I also told him about a good friend of ours that hasn't killed a big buck yet, but has put his friends on some very nice deer, including myself. After that he felt a little better. He also told me that when he arrived to help Ryan he replayed the events and Ryan said after the shot he started crying from excitement. I know that feeling cause most of us has done the same thing, whether it be ourself or our kids first great memory.

That evening we hunted our place but didn't see anything but plenty of mallards in our slough.

The next morning Hunter went to the killing tree and shot a doe. Image

The next morning we went to shoot some ducks. We arrived 20 minutes before shooting time and about ten minutes early they were cupping in and landing in the decoys. I kept asking what time is it and he'd say a minute later. Minutes felt like hours. Finally it was shooting time and we began to pick them off. ImageImageImage

After this hunt Hunter was getting sick and went home. I hunted the wma on the ground that evening and had seen two does at 20 yards ten minutes before shooting times. I passed and was happy to see deer and watch the wood duck show as thousands was pouring in and you couldn't hear yourself think lol. Image

Next morning I woke up sick and went for a quick limit of mallardsImage
triple_duece
10 Point

Re: Cold weather weekend hunt.

Postby bigsteve » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:23 am

Sounds like a good hunt

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby flipper » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:38 am

Yep, a good time was had by all it sounds. Loved the read and the pics are awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016-2017 *Team 8* ANTLER ADDICTS

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:42 am

You made him carry out all those mallards???? No wonder he got sick! LOL! That looked to be a really good sized doe. Hope y'all are feeling better now.

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby triple_duece » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:18 am

We are at the dr now Flipper. We can't take chances with my mom being a chemo patient. Hopefully get some shots to get us going again.

Oh he carried them a whole 60 yards to the atv
triple_duece
10 Point

Postby sidog » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:15 pm

Sounds like a perfect hunt except for the sickness. Nice buck!
sidog
Non-Typical

Postby gtk » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:12 pm

awesome :)
gtk
Admin

Postby glenn » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:21 pm

He will be rewarded in the end. It's not easy putting someone else in your prime spot. He did a great thing taking care of his friend.

Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby triple_duece » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:34 pm

glenn wrote:He will be rewarded in the end. It's not easy putting someone else in your prime spot. He did a great thing taking care of his friend.

Yeah Glenn I told him that. He's 18 and hasn't had that "good" buck kill yet. He has put in the leg work and time in the tree... crazy hours when he can hunt. I also told him it can happen to anyone at anytime. Just seems like we are always brides maid when it comes to getting that one. We like to hunt the hard way so it's not easy unless your big Steve lol.
triple_duece
10 Point

Postby LadyHunter » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:36 pm

What a fantastic weekend with shared memories all around, years from now you will all still be talking about it. These are the kind of stories that are truly about hunting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:23 pm

Fantastic story, and what the definition of a true sportsman is.
Congratulations to all, his time will come and he will be greatly rewarded.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby dublelung » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:27 pm

That's good times! His day will come on the big buck, in the meantime those ducks are a nice consolation prize! :D
I still hate Commies, even after they changed their name to Liberals.
dublelung
Non-Typical

Postby chadbragg » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:58 pm

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing

TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:08 pm

I've been hunting 32 of my 58 years and I have yet to get that really big buck, but yes, it can happen at any moment. We just keep trying and enjoying the moments in the meantime. :ylsuper:

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:13 am

Great story and congratulations to Hunter and Ryan. Sounds like both will have many great hunts together in the future. They will recall this hunt many times in the coming years.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:54 am

He is definitely going in the right direction dedication and staying mobile enhances his chances of success big bucks are solitary animals they do have a weakness during the rut and late season but you still have to play the game good to see young hunters with the passion for this wonderful sport his time will come

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby Shrewd » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:39 am

jdv wrote:Great story and congratulations to the Andropenis on https://revolutionaryoptimists.org/andr ... ew-results and Hunter and Ryan. Sounds like both will have many great hunts together in the future. They will recall this hunt many times in the coming years.

Great pics, I love hunting in the cold weather.
Shrewd
button buck

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion