• Advertisement

How is this season turning out compared to past years?

Whats happening in your neck of the woods ?

Postby huntall » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:32 pm

Just curious to hear how everyone's season is going compared to other years.

I have not hunted near the amount that I normally do but buck sightings of size is way down this year compared to does compared to most years for me. Seeing lots of young bucks this year.

I have killed a few does, but still waiting on that buck. My youngest son killed his first squirrel and missed a deer early season so he has got a little experience under his belt and ready for his time to come.

Also had a chance to take a Co worker and he killed his first deer. So even though we have not got that big buck, we have still had a lot of fun and have some meat for the freezer.

How is your season. turning out compared to other years.
"TEAM 6"
huntall
Pope&Young

Re: How is this season turning out compared to past years?

Postby bigsteve » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:55 pm

Mine was about average haven't hunted much lately have taken 4 bucks and 7 does my wife took a buck and a doe I probably could have taken another buck but didn't see one I wanted I killed 2 --8pt. bucks with the crossbow and 2 with the a bolt 1--6pt and 1--11 pt killed 5 does with the crossbow and 2 with the muzzle loader hunted more later than other years buck numbers were down where we hunt in Arkansas moved to a different location the two I killed in Mississippi were behind my garden I doubt I'll take any more if I don't I had a wonderful year and I am very satisfied with the result

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby flipper » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:22 pm

Thanks for this great thread Huntall!!
I went back to my 1st forum hunting journal entry for this season and saw where I said I would take 2 does if no decent bucks present themselves. Well, 2 decent bucks presented themselves and I have seen many more bucks that, while still immature, are bigger than the immature ones I have seen in the past. Does that make sense? In other words, the young ones I am letting walk each year are getting bigger, and because I'm not over hunting the bucks, there are more of them. The herd looks very healthy. Now, if it will just stay that way. All that being said, I'm disappointed that I don't ever see or get on camera any REALLY big bucks. I would love to just get a pic of a once in a lifetime stud. I have to remind myself though that there was a time when, if we saw a doe on our place, it was a really big deal. Boy, have things changed. I do see approximately a dozen deer each time I go out....... The weather has really been interesting this season: drought, cold, ice, warm, and now wet. I'm thrilled with my season and already looking forward to the next!
2016-2017 *Team 8* ANTLER ADDICTS

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby patinlouisiana » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:06 pm

It has been a very different type of year for me.
My wife lost her father and that tied us up during the preseason so I was not as well prepared as I would like to have been. Work kept me out of the woods during the peak of the rut. On top of this I just am not as mad at the deer as I used to be. The strange part is I have not seen a single buck. My hunting buddies have almost all limited out. I think this is the first year so far that no one has taken a doe. I have not because I still have a freezer full from the last few years and the fact I missed the Hunters for the Hungry this fall. We hunt my in-law's property and I have had great success over the last 40 years I have taken over 60 deer. This year I have not fired a shot (at a deer). On a side note this year we have had no "Air Balls", lost deer or even a long track. Only one "gut shot" that I remember but it only went 80 yards.
All in all I have enjoyed the camp life and the great company this year as much as any other year.
Looking forward to the next! :ylsuper: :ylsuper: :ylsuper:
2017-2018 member Team 4
.257 Weatherby Magnum W/4x16 X 50 Nikon Monarch
T/C Encore 35 Whelen W/Leupold VX-I 3-9 x 50
S&W M&P 15 Sport II 5.56
Ruger Blackhawk 357 Mag W/Millet Red Dot
Canon PowerShot SX40HS
patinlouisiana
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:35 am

Like Pat, I'm just not as "mad" at the deer as I used to be. Having said that, this has been a fantastic year for me. I started it off in October by killing a very nice elk. Since I had so much meat from the elk, i decided not to kill any deer unless I saw a "goodern". Well, 2nd day of season, i got a pretty good one (for me anyway).

A few weeks later at our cabin, I had yet another nice one come by & took it as well. Ever since that one, I have not hunted nearly as hard, or one weekend, not at all.
gtk
Admin

Postby sdw » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:53 pm

This season has been my best ever. I started back deer hunting a few years ago after quitting for 20 years when my grandfather passed away. I killed a very nice 9pt (nice to me anyways) with a rifle my grandfather gave me. I killed it sitting on the ground with open sights the way I hunted with my granddaddy. Definitely a hunt I will likely never top. But I'm going to try.
sdw
Spike

Postby gtk » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:26 am

sdw wrote:I killed it sitting on the ground with open sights the way I hunted with my granddaddy. Definitely a hunt I will likely never top. But I'm going to try.

there's something just satisfying, killing a deer old school on the ground with open sights 8)
gtk
Admin

Postby flipper » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:00 am

First deer I ever killed was with open sights. My parents had just given me a 30-06 and I didn't have a scope on it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby patinlouisiana » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:13 pm

flipper wrote:First deer I ever killed was with open sights. My parents had just given me a 30-06 and I didn't have a scope on it yet.

One of my best deer and most memorable was taken while still hunting my way to a stand in a light drizzling rain.
All the time hoping and praying this .54 Hawkin would go BANG not click-pop. :shock:
2017-2018 member Team 4
.257 Weatherby Magnum W/4x16 X 50 Nikon Monarch
T/C Encore 35 Whelen W/Leupold VX-I 3-9 x 50
S&W M&P 15 Sport II 5.56
Ruger Blackhawk 357 Mag W/Millet Red Dot
Canon PowerShot SX40HS
patinlouisiana
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:18 pm

I sure hope I get a chance to add to my original post under this thread after this weekend .

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:37 pm

Last year I took two good bucks with my flintlock hawken 50 cal was a hunt I will always remember but. By far my best were the ones I took with my bow hunting days

bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby Surveyorshawn » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

This has been an unusual season compared to past years for me, but in a good way. Usually I don't get very many buck pictures until late December to the end of season. This year, I got almost exclusively buck pictures from late September until Thanksgiving, and I was getting pictures of 7 or 8 different bucks, 3 of which were good, and 2 of which were monsters for the coastal counties. I usually kill big deer, but other than the early bow season, I typically don't kill anything in MS until close to the rut down here - January to February, and I almost never get trail cam pics of the bucks I am after. I also don't really hunt food plots (done it plenty of times in the past!), but hunt in the woods, mostly from the ground. I got well over a hundred pics of each of the big bucks I was after this season, and killed both of them in a food plot 100 yards behind my house within a week of each other, one the last week of November and one December 5th. I killed another, a big 7pt, 18 1/2" wide with 5" bases, while stalking through the woods along the creek that runs through our place.

Maybe I should change my hunting style!
Truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself. - St. Augustine
Surveyorshawn
Spike

Postby flipper » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:46 pm

Surveyorshawn wrote:This has been an unusual season compared to past years for me, but in a good way. Usually I don't get very many buck pictures until late December to the end of season. This year, I got almost exclusively buck pictures from late September until Thanksgiving, and I was getting pictures of 7 or 8 different bucks, 3 of which were good, and 2 of which were monsters for the coastal counties. I usually kill big deer, but other than the early bow season, I typically don't kill anything in MS until close to the rut down here - January to February, and I almost never get trail cam pics of the bucks I am after. I also don't really hunt food plots (done it plenty of times in the past!), but hunt in the woods, mostly from the ground. I got well over a hundred pics of each of the big bucks I was after this season, and killed both of them in a food plot 100 yards behind my house within a week of each other, one the last week of November and one December 5th. I killed another, a big 7pt, 18 1/2" wide with 5" bases, while stalking through the woods along the creek that runs through our place.

Maybe I should change my hunting style!

I don't plant/hunt food plots either, but most of the successful hunters do. Maybe we should both change!
Hey, do you happen to know Retha (Smith/Rayburn) Graham? She is a nurse I worked with up here in Jackson at one time. From Stone County. I think she has moved back there.

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby Surveyorshawn » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:05 pm

I don't know her, but I just looked her up on FB and saw that she's friends with a lot of people I'm friends with. There are so many Smiths down here, an entire part of Stone County is called Smithtown, lol. My ex was a nurse, and she worked in Jackson for a while (ex sounds bad, but we got along fine after not being married). She's the woman who was killed by the professor at Delta State a little over a year ago who also killed the other professor. She & our daughter were like sisters. She also hunted, and my daughter has killed some nice bucks.
Truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself. - St. Augustine
Surveyorshawn
Spike

Postby glenn » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:53 pm

Shawn,

I never know the right thing to say to anyone who has had a tragedy in their life other than to say you and your daughter are in my prayers.

Shawn and flipper,

Considering what both of you have killed this year, I don't think either of you need to be taking advise from anyone, other than maybe Steve, on how to deer hunt.

I do plant food plots and hunt them, but mostly because I have gotten old and soft and it's easy to take kids. Also to give the deer another reason to stay on the property. I miss the time when preparing for deer season meant pulling your shotgun and coveralls out of the closet the night before gun season opened. Now, I'm already preparing for next year.

Never mistake kindness for weakness!
Aim small, miss small!
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:58 am

This season was different for me too in ark where we hunt early season buck numbers were down also I'm miss In the delta where I normally take some good bucks I had to hunt two areas where I had never hunted before but with a little presiverence you can be successful I took all my bucks in a couple weeks not the real big deer like I have taken in the past but good mature bucks I too don't hunt food plots I hunt fresh deer sign and stay mobile I take the hunt to the deer don't wait on them to bring the hunt to me believe in the way you hunt it doesn't matter witch way you believe in food plots ,woods etc. If it works for you then it's the right method I didn't start taking big deer until I started hunting big deer they are a different animal all together and to be successful time after time takes dedication congrats on your success and may you have many more

bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby flipper » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:57 pm

My success this year I attribute to my passing on (as well as most of my neighbors') young legal bucks in years past. Now, that being said, I know I killed some nice immature bucks in the past, but I didn't shoot every one of them I saw. Many, many I let walk. I have let some nice ones walk this year. That "kill anything with horns" mentality has passed. Food plots? I have no problem with them. I have no problem with anything legal. Many of you have young'uns and they need something to draw the deer in to enable them to get a shot and keep the fire going. That's great. That's what we need. I"m just cheap and will hunt whatever comes my way without enticing them into my crosshairs. It is fun no matter how you do it!

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Postby Surveyorshawn » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:12 pm

I try to kill mature bucks. In my younger years (I'm not old - 46, I just mean in my 20's and early 30's) I killed legal bucks, and progressively larger ones, but it just wasn't as fun or challenging. I bowhunted strictly during my late 30's, and got into ground hunting and stalking after I lost the ability to climb for a while. It's fun to try and figure out and defeat a 4 to 5 year old buck, and sometimes older, at his own game. This year I planted a plot for the first time since 2011. We have a long, narrow piece of land with a cattle farm to the North of us (he plants rye grass), and a big bottom/swamp to the South that is part of a hunting club (nobody hunts in that part, I traded some surveying for a buffer zone way back), and our place is right in between. Everyone around tries to manage for big bucks (usually 3 year olds - 15" 8pts that score around 100"), but most of them make it through. I am always surprised when the older class shows up on camera, though. Around here they generally disappear after their 3rd year, and you only see them in person if you are lucky or good. I've been pretty lucky :) Now my son is about old enough to start going, but he's too fidgety to be in an open stand. We put up a few pop-up blinds and left them out for long periods. I'll see how he does in them now that I've tagged out, lol.
Surveyorshawn
Spike

Postby missed mallards » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:09 pm

Squeezed the trigger today for the first time in 3 years!

Nothing but a doe, but probably the most excitement I've had in quite a spell. Felt good to know I still have it! Felt even better knowing the long range practice at the range paid off.

As far as seasons past. I have yet to get one decent mountable buck on camera. I let 3 120's walk last year. I haven't any clue to where they went. The place is small and a travel corridor from one small patch of timber to the next. Almost always get mid night pics of those elusive ones. Not this year. Had a lease that didn't work out so the season started off not to good. Still wonder what really happened on that. But anyways. Watched a doe all season (population hoovers around 7) and that's been about it. Meth heads moved in late December and shut down our patch. Hopefully greener pastures next year.

Was fun to shoot though. Got meat per the request of the wife. Got one more weekend to go so who knows.

missed mallards
button buck

Postby terry08 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:49 am

What few times I hunted were for the most part uneventful. I gave it up a few weeks ago, just not enough activity to hold my interest. Thinking about public land for next year.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby LadyHunter » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:23 am

Well it's not quite over, but I just don't seem to be as mad. I had a great season in the woods, just being out there is good. I have a lease I was on the fence about keeping, for a couple of years the deer just did not seem to be there. But I now seem to have a very healthy herd of does hanging out in the thickets and food plots. I have elusive bucks making camera appearances at night. I did kill two does, one off each lease. I saw deer, I watched birds, squirrels, I did some thinking and praying.
With the children a lot of our season is taken up with them, and it is a pleasure. Ben finally connected on a buck this year. His first small one here on the farm, and a really nice 8 point up on public land. I will have to post pictures and the story. Brandon got a nice 9 Point on Christmas Day. Bailey hasn't killed anything but she has had fun. She got her driving permit this fall and everyone lets her drive them around camp, so her season has been a success!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby flipper » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:23 am

LadyHunter wrote:Well it's not quite over, but I just don't seem to be as mad. I had a great season in the woods, just being out there is good. I have a lease I was on the fence about keeping, for a couple of years the deer just did not seem to be there. But I now seem to have a very healthy herd of does hanging out in the thickets and food plots. I have elusive bucks making camera appearances at night. I did kill two does, one off each lease. I saw deer, I watched birds, squirrels, I did some thinking and praying.
With the children a lot of our season is taken up with them, and it is a pleasure. Ben finally connected on a buck this year. His first small one here on the farm, and a really nice 8 point up on public land. I will have to post pictures and the story. Brandon got a nice 9 Point on Christmas Day. Bailey hasn't killed anything but she has had fun. She got her driving permit this fall and everyone lets her drive them around camp, so her season has been a success!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Well that sounds like a highly successful and satisfying season to me. I'm really anxious to hear the stories!

PROUD TO BE A DEPLORABLE
flipper
Pope&Young

Return to Whitetail Deer Discussion