• Advertisement

Deer & Turkey Tagging House Bill 1028 (UPDATE)

Whatever you want to discuss

Deer & Turkey Tagging House Bill 1028 (UPDATE)

Postby jv » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:52 pm

I see where house bill 1028 passed the house yesterday that calls for the MDWFP to set up a tagging system for deer and turkey.

Mississippi Legislature
2017 Regular Session

House Bill 1028

House Calendar | Senate Calendar | Main Menu
Amendments | Code Sections | Additional Information

Bill Text for All Versions
pdf | html | pdf with deleted text Committee Substitute
pdf | html | pdf with deleted text As Introduced

Description: MDWFP; require to establish program for the tagging of white-tailed deer and wild turkey.

Fiscal Note: No fiscal note conducted

Background Information:
Disposition: Active
Deadline: General Bill/Constitutional Amendment
Revenue: No
Vote type required: Three/Fifths
Effective date: July 1, 2018

History of Actions:
1 01/16 (H) Referred To Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks
2 01/26 (H) Title Suff Do Pass Comm Sub
3 02/08 (H) Read the Third Time
4 02/09 (H) Committee Substitute Adopted
5 02/09 (H) Amended
* 6 02/09 (H) Passed As Amended {Vote} **********

Amendments:
pdf | html [H] Amendment No 1 (Cmte Sub) Adopted Voice Vote

Code Section: A 049-0007-0026

----- Additional Information -----

House Committee: Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks

Principal Author: Morgan

Title: AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 49-7-26, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO REQUIRE THE MISSISSIPPI DEPARTMENT OF WILDLIFE, FISHERIES AND PARKS TO DEVELOP A PROGRAM FOR TAGGING WHITE-TAILED DEER AND WILD TURKEY; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.

Information pertaining to this measure was last updated on 02/09/17 at 17:11
End Of Document
Last edited by jv on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Re: Deer & Turkey Tagging House Bill 1028

Postby gtk » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:30 am

So is it a done deal, or does it have to go through other votes ?
gtk
Admin

Postby jv » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:29 pm

Not a done deal as of yet the house amended the original bill and it passed the house if I'm right it has to go to the Senate to be passed. If it passes all branches it will go into effect July 1. 2018.

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:39 am

I see no way that it is enforceable. How many people are going to call or log into a website or app, to report what they killed?
They need to be passing laws such as making high-speed Internet available for everyone. Since I live in a rural community, I probably won't be able to access the site anyway. It's sad that we are charged the same amount as everyone else, but don't get the same service as those in Metro areas.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:55 am

Tags will be issued to every hunter and will have to be validated and attached to the kill before it can be moved not a bad system been doing it for years in ark

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
TEAM #5 four of a kind 2014
VIETNAM 68--71 3RD MARINE DIV.
DIE HARD CRIMSON TIDE FAN !!!!!!
CROSS BOW HUNTING GEESSER
bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby terry08 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:04 am

I can assure you the night hunters in this area won't be tagging. There were three fresh carcasses at the dumpster yesterday. Season is closed but they have their own season. All year in my area with no bag limits.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:43 am

I do support some kind of tagging system but do I think it will work, no. The true sportsman will try and follow the rules just as we have now but a crook, lier and cheat will always be one no matter what. For one thing we don't have enough law enforcement to enforce the law if it is passed.
I used to turkey hunt in Missouri and there you had to tag a turkey before you moved it and then take it to a check point to have it ckecked if you didn't run into a officer before you got to the check point, but up there I have seen three or more game wardens in the same day all patrolling in the same area and here it might be one warden coverage three or four counties.
I do believe this is something we need but I also believe it will be years before it will work right. I have hunted when we did have a tagging system and you had to tag a deer before you moved it or chance being caught with a untaged deer.

jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:11 pm

jv wrote:I do support some kind of tagging system but do I think it will work, no. The true sportsman will try and follow the rules just as we have now but a crook, lier and cheat will always be one no matter what. For one thing we don't have enough law enforcement to enforce the law if it is passed.
I used to turkey hunt in Missouri and there you had to tag a turkey before you moved it and then take it to a check point to have it ckecked if you didn't run into a officer before you got to the check point, but up there I have seen three or more game wardens in the same day all patrolling in the same area and here it might be one warden coverage three or four counties.
I do believe this is something we need but I also believe it will be years before it will work right. I have hunted when we did have a tagging system and you had to tag a deer before you moved it or chance being caught with a untaged deer.
jv, I haven't seen a warden in my area in the 22 years I have lived here.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:18 pm

I don't think ethical hunters will mind at all tagging an animal as far as the poachers go you will always have them it is up to the hunters to police our ranks would I turn one in you bet I would limits are so liberal there is no reason to break our game laws

bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby terry08 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:37 pm

Sounds more like a survey. What good are the tags if all they want is to know what you harvested. Just type in your name and area of harvest and what ever information they deem necessary.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby MikeA57 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:12 pm

Well, I'm an ethical hunter and I just see this as more govt. control and in the end all it ends up being is more hassle for us. For the poachers and ne'er do wells it'll still be business as usual. Before long we won't be able to go catch bluegill w/o a tag...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
“Just because you’re paranoid, doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you.”
MikeA57
4 Point

Postby terry08 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:40 am

It's all good. There will always be changes in the laws. We are blessed with plenty of game and just need to be ethical hunters. Maybe this will work for the better, just have to wait and see.
I am sure it has good intentions but the fact is , only nature can truly control game population.
As Bigsteve, said. Been doing it in Arkansas for years. But the blue tongue or whatever still decimated the herd where he was hunting. Nature will have the final say.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:34 am

Like I said in a earlier post, I am for a tagging system but I know it will take years to get it where it needs to be. Right now we are allowed 8 deer per year and that's more then plenty for anyone but one the problems is some hunters are just killing deer for the backstapes and or hindquarters and just let the rest of the deer go to waste. Now the second problem is the hunters that are head hunting only...seeing who can kill the deer with the biggest head decoration (horns). We have gotten away from hunting for food and now just for show and that's part of the main problem we face today and I blame this in the most part to the so called hunting shows and game attractents because it's all about the money.

jv
Pope&Young

Postby bigsteve » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:45 am

Change in the laws is always going to be met with resistance from some but really how many hunters take their limits in the south this measure will give data in areas where over or under harvesting may be present I know you can go to the Agf harvest data page and get harvest by day , county, sex,and method of harvest all data came from tagging the whole process takes less than 5. Minutes I think it's a great tool and a few citations might curve some of the illegal activities I'm all for it

bigsteve
Deer Killing Machine

Postby LadyHunter » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:25 am

I have yet to see an actual full lay out of the bill. How do they account for youth? Animals killed on private land? Retired or disabled that no longer buy a license? How is it enforced? Paper tags? Electronic?

Now.... I am an ethical hunter, I love hunting and watching deer. I am AGAINST a tagging system. Just more control and interference by the over reaching government. Ethical hunters will of course comply and outlaws will still be outlaws.

Do any of you remember when this state had a tagging system? I do, and we fought hard to remove it. It did not work, and I don't see this working unless they plan to hire lots and lots of new game wardens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:49 am

This is the lay out of the bill as passed by the House and was sent to the Senate on the 13th. It looks like it is only a electronic tagging system.

http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/docume ... 1028PS.pdf

jv
Pope&Young

Postby LadyHunter » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:30 pm

Now that is clear as mud. No real details about how it will work other than it will be implemented. I absolutely see a disaster in the making. And those crazy high fines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:57 am

Looks like a third grade student wrote the bill. Seems that the emphasis is on the fines.
The words sportsman, seems to define everyone as being liable, children, disabled, seniors or whomever. No one is exempt.
And what about those who do not have a smart phone or a computer? Very sloppily written and looks like a money grab to me.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby stickers » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:29 am

This is just a bill that instructs and gives the MDWFP authority to come up with something. The details of the system wont be known until after they design it and such. The ball is in their court now. Baby steps but steps none the least.
stickers
10 Point

Postby jv » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:44 am

I agree that the bill as it is now is very poorly written and needs some major thought put into it. As written I don't see it making through the Senate.

jv
Pope&Young

Postby stickers » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:31 am

jv wrote:I agree that the bill as it is now is very poorly written and needs some major thought put into it. As written I don't see it making through the Senate.

The Senate will approve anything that MDWFP and commissioners come up with. The key word in that sentence is commissioners :bash: To be honest, I dont believe it has to be run thru the senate at this point.
stickers
10 Point

Postby jv » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:47 am

stickers wrote:
jv wrote:I agree that the bill as it is now is very poorly written and needs some major thought put into it. As written I don't see it making through the Senate.

The Senate will approve anything that MDWFP and commissioners come up with. The key word in that sentence is commissioners :bash: To be honest, I dont believe it has to be run thru the senate at this point.

The bill was sent to the Senate on the 13th. Now if they discuss it or not is another issue. Like you said they might just pass it move it on the MDWFP and let them worry about how it will be implemented and enforced.

jv
Pope&Young

Re: Deer & Turkey Tagging House Bill 1028 (UPDATE)

Postby jv » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:40 am

Bill died in committee......

jv
Pope&Young

Return to General Forum