• Advertisement

Economics 101

Whatever you want to discuss

Economics 101

Postby terry08 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:09 am

This past Saturday, I tried to give Sherrie, a refresher course in economics.
It all began Friday afternoon, when I realized it was going to be a breezy, but sunny weekend. I had some much needed cleaning up to do around the yard and pond. But I wasn't about to fool with the big box store chain saw that had failed to crank last spring. So I stopped by Home Town Hardware in Flora, talked to my friend John, and he convinced me that all I needed was the Stihl residential saw with the 16 inch bar, for $ 179.00. So I made the purchase.
Saturday morning, I went to the pond to cut overgrown willow trees, and was very impressed with the saw. But then realized I needed to do a lot of weed eating. So back to the house I went and told Sherrie, we needed to run to Flora, that I needed a new weed eater. One that would run. Well, again John, saved the day. After he loaded it in the vehicle, Sherrie, asked what it cost me. I replied, that with the extra role of line, it was $ 249.00. She then asked how can you do that? Do what I asked? Spend nearly five hundred dollars on a saw and trimmer.
Very easy I replied. Just go in and pick the ones you want. Swipe the debit card and it's done. Her reply was something like you smart@$#.
Well, after running both of them, all day without one failed cranking experience. I was very proud of my purchase . That's when the thought hit me to use this as a refresher course in economics.
The week before while at Sams, Sherrie, had bought a whole rib eye for $ 124.00, I had managed to cut 11, two inch thick steaks from it.
After getting cleaned up. I made spinach & cheese stuffed mushrooms and put two steaks on the grill, which by the way, was melt in your mouth tender.
Sherrie, devoured hers in twenty minutes. That's when I asked her how can you do that? Do what she asked?
How can you pay $ 124.00 for a whole rib eye. Which by the way there are only six left after only a week. And you just ate that one in twenty minutes.
I explained that I had paid nearly five hundred dollars for two pieces of equipment, that I had used all day and would use all year. Plus by buying a six pack of oil with each one. They extended the warranty from two to four years.
Do the math sweetie, my purchase was a long term investment which will save me from paying someone like chadbragg to do the work. Thus essentially paying for themselves in just one season. Now who made the better purchase? After a moment of silence she said , I would rather pay $ 124.00, and enjoy a great steak every so often, than pay $ 450.00.
For something that's gonna work your tail off all summer.
And that's when I gave up.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Re: Economics 101

Postby jv » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:21 am

Great deal on the chain saw but then again 11 2" ribeye for $124 I a pretty good deal too if the are good and tender .
Got my 10 year old Echo chain saw out Saturday put fuel in it and on the third pull it cranked and run good all afternoon...run better because I had both boys here to run it for me. :D
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:29 am

jv wrote:Great deal on the chain saw but then again 11 2" ribeye for $124 I a pretty good deal too if the are good and tender .
Got my 10 year old Echo chain saw out Saturday put fuel in it and on the third pull it cranked and run good all afternoon...run better because I had both boys here to run it for me. :D

Got a two hundred dollar echo weed wacker that I need to get fixed. Probably give it to Jeremy, along with the homelite chain saw. To much hassle finding service for them.

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:55 am

terry08 wrote:
jv wrote:Great deal on the chain saw but then again 11 2" ribeye for $124 I a pretty good deal too if the are good and tender .

Got a two hundred dollar echo weed wacker that I need to get fixed. Probably give it to Jeremy, along with the homelite chain saw. To much hassle finding service for them.

I got a echo weed Wacker that still runs good but do have to change the spark plug ever so often..
But it's hard to beat a Stihl
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:11 am

jv wrote:
terry08 wrote:

I got a echo weed Wacker that still runs good but do have to change the spark plug ever so often..
But it's hard to beat a Stihl

Every landscape trailer, I see is loaded with stihl equipment. Plus my father n law, once told me to buy nothing but stihl. For what I have spent over the years on off brand. I should have listened. With the 4 year warranty and local service, it will make life simple.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:50 am

i've been putting off buying a weedeater for about 4 years now.. i've been just using roundup :)
gtk
Admin

Postby terry08 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:20 pm

That's exactly what a friend said today. He weed eats one time and then sprays Round Up.
Funny , how some folks want the grass to grow. But others want it gone.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:50 pm

I use my stuff daily. And have people ask me very often which Weedeater, mower, blower, etc they need. I always tell them to buy either heavy duty residential or light commercial BUT buy from a dealer not a box store. Most reply with "well I only use it a few times a year, guess I'll just get one at Walmart or Lowe's........"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby terry08 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:53 pm

I will respond yearly as to how they worked out.

terry08
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:30 am

My Weedeater I use was bought in 2004. Never had a thing done to it besides a couple new heads. I bought a couple more Kawasaki before they stopped making handheld stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby stickers » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:28 am

I got my wife that little saw for Christmas a couple years ago. She loves using that thing. It is a nice little saw. Nice for cutting small firewood. I would recommend changing the sprocket and putting a different pitch chain on it and new bar. The chains that come on them are junk imo. Go dull way too fast on harder wood.
stickers
10 Point

Postby terry08 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:36 pm

stickers wrote:I got my wife that little saw for Christmas a couple years ago. She loves using that thing. It is a nice little saw. Nice for cutting small firewood. I would recommend changing the sprocket and putting a different pitch chain on it and new bar. The chains that come on them are junk imo. Go dull way too fast on harder wood.

Yes it is a very fine tooth chain that needs sharpening more often. But, that is one of the reasons the saw sells so cheap plus no case. But for light duty cutting it has a great reputation. I will probably upgrade for larger tree work.

terry08
Pope&Young

Return to General Forum