• Advertisement

Got a dilemma, any advice?

Whatever you want to discuss

Postby buckcrazy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:35 pm

Ok, I bought my land back in February and there was a man who was leasing it to hunt and also the 80 acres that borders it that I now lease. The agent and previous owner informed the man when I bought it that all stands and such were to be removed.
As of today the stands are still there. Just a while ago I received a call from the man whose stands they belong to wanting to get them out. He says it's been to wet to get back there to get them but still wants to get them out. I offered to buy them and he asked me a price so I'm thinking it over. There are 6 metal framed box stands with plywood, some plywood needs replacing. I'm really not interested in buying them but don't really care to have someone on the property roaming around gathering stands and possibly tearing up the roads that I've spent a lot of money repairing, not to mention the liability factor if he gets hurt on the property while moving them.
I'm not trying to be a jerk about this and I understand about the weather conditions here in the last couple months but a lot of time has since passed and I'm wondering if anyone might have some advice on how to handle this.
If I do allow him to go back there to get them I'm thinking about asking him to sign a hold harmless statement and a liability waiver for any damages to the road that he does. The roads have taken 22 dozer hours so far and I don't feel that I should risk having to pay for more dozer hours to straighten out any damages that may occur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby triple_duece » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:44 pm

Wow this could go a few ways. First of all when was he contacted. Most leases have a move out date/pay date in may and latest in June.
He has no right to retrieve the stands if notified early this year. Question is do you want the stands? If so offer what you think they are worth in effort to "keep the peace". If you don't want the stands you have every right to dictate how and when they are to be removed. Now this is on the land you own. For the land you lease, that will be between him and the owner.

At no point would he be allowed on my property unless I supervised the whole time. Just my 2cents.
triple_duece
10 Point

Postby buckcrazy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:01 pm

He was contacted in march about removing the stands from my property and in late May about the ones on the lease land.
I really don't care to have the stands because they aren't worth more than $500 total to me. I would eventually replace them all but it would be nice to have them for this season so I don't have to rush to build or buy any but I won't spend more than that to have them.
He will definitely have to get them on my terms and I will make it known that I have to be present while he does.

"There's a fine line between hunting and sittting there looking stupid"- Unknown

"If vegetarians love animals so much why do they keep eating all their food"- Unknown
buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby triple_duece » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:07 pm

How was he on the phone with you? If he seemed honest and respectful I'd give him 500$ and be done. If he wasn't tell him the property was sold and no longer has ownership of the stands.

If you have no use for the stands and don't want to pay the 500, you can remove his stands to the curb for "x amount" for labor.
triple_duece
10 Point

Re: Got a dilemma, any advice?

Postby buckcrazy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:37 pm

He got my number from his ex son in law who knows the guy who I have running the dump truck for me.
I'll offer him the $500 and see where it goes from there I guess.
The thing is the road he has to go down past the homesite area hasn't been graded and leveled yet so I don't know how in the heck he will even get them out until it's really dry which could take a couple weeks the way we've gotten rain up there lately and it keeps coming. In a couple weeks I'll be in full on food plot mode and definitely won't be wanting anyone driving around back there.

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby gtk » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:56 am

it would all depend on his demeanor/attitude.. i'd probably let him get them out with ATV/UTV only to keep from tearing up road
gtk
Admin

Postby Bullie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:34 am

Offering a fair price if you want them or letting him get them out if you don't will probably cut down on the poaching and burning.
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting.

Current B&S World Record Holder 1.96 B&S points taken in the Mississippi Hills.

QSMA President and resident expert on all things squirrel.

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club
Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Postby triple_duece » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:43 am

Update?
triple_duece
10 Point

Postby buckcrazy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:22 am

He's mulling over my offer for them and will get back to me. I explained that I lve spent a lot of time and money repairing the property and I am concerned about damages that may occur if the ground isn't dry enough. He was very understanding of my concerns and we agreed that if he doesn't accept my offer we will wait for a dry week after everything has settled and he can get his stands. I'd rather he accept because I really don't want anyone back there seeing the improvements I've made.

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby buckcrazy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:02 am

After thinking it over he decided he wants his stands so he will get them out this weekend. Looks like I'm gonna be busy building some in the next couple weeks. Told him be careful on my roads and he said if he does make any ruts he will repair them. I can't get over there till Sunday so I'm not crazy about them going on the property without me but I'd rather he get them out this weekend before any rain comes in

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby triple_duece » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:19 am

Atv and trailer would be the best option for least amount of damage
triple_duece
10 Point

Postby buckcrazy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:39 pm

Well they got 3 out yesterday and then he called to tell me before they could make it back over it started storming so they are going to wait until some more consecutive dry days before getting the rest. They are using atv and trailers to get them out. Hoping the roads still look good when I get back

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby triple_duece » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:38 pm

Hopefully and I'm thinking they respected your wishes. Think your gonna have a win/win. Keep us updated
triple_duece
10 Point

Postby terry08 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:10 am

Sounds like a respectable man. It's better to make a friend than have an enemy. And yes, a rut in the road can be repaired a lot easier than bad relationships. Seems he is standing by your wishes .

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby buckcrazy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:50 pm

Totally correct terry!
Figured since it looks as though I'm building stands this year I might as well get started!
Anyone have any stands where the door opens to the inside? I have a friend who builds his like this now after his wife had an accident a few years ago. They were hog hunting and went to get out the stand so he climbed down and his wife climbed out next. She had gone down two steps and he asked her to close the latch on the door. She swung the door and leaned back a little to let the door pass her and her hand slipped off the step and she fell. The stand was only 8 feet off the ground but she fell flat on her back and from that day on has been paralyzed.
ImageImageImageImage

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby triple_duece » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:38 pm

Looks good. What size is the stand? I typically like them at least 5' wide. My buddy has stands that are 8x8 and 10x10 with windows on each side with shooting rest at each window w sand bags...talk about nice. He also has ladder going to the floor with a floor entrance. Plenty or room for anything even a couple chairs.
triple_duece
10 Point

Postby buckcrazy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:09 pm

They're 4'x8'and 6'6 high. I'm 6'2 and don't like hitting my head so I build them a little taller. I use 2x2's for the framing and 1/2" OSB wax side out for the walls and paint them.

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby buckcrazy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:00 am

I've thought about building a wider stand like an 8x8 but I think there would be to much space between windows to cover and would cause a lot of movement. If you have two or even three people in the stand it might not be bad but if im hunting solo I think it would be hard to do. Im sure its comfortable though. Ive always found the 4x6 and 4x8 stand plenty big enough to be comfortable for two hunters. Heck Ive had my 2 kids, myself and my wife in our old 4x8 stand before. A little tight but we made it through a few hunts without to much noise and without driving each other nuts,lol!
Im planning on putting a solar panel on this stand so I can charge a phone. When my son comes along it never fails that his phone dies and he gets bored real quick so maybe that'll help.

buckcrazy
Boone&Crockett

Postby gtk » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:46 am

very nice :)
gtk
Admin

Postby dustygoodson » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:48 pm

yup that thing going be nice
dustygoodson
Pope&Young