• Advertisement

300 WSM

Discussion pertaining to Firearms & Ammo.

300 WSM

Postby ufgators68 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:40 pm

What do yall know about it? I'm possibly selling two guns after Christmas and I'm thinking about getting a 300 WSM.

It'll be topped with a Burris Fullfied II 3.5-10x50.

I'll post a link in a minute, I screwed up and posted the wrong one the first time...lol.
Last edited by ufgators68 on Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby bt58 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:45 pm

I have a Model 70 and I like it. Some people don't like them, but I'd take it over a Remington 700 any day. You might consider the Browning A bolt I know they are chambering the short mags too.

As for the caliber I don't know much about them except the fact that the ballistics look good. Haven't shot one though.
bt58
12 Point

Postby ufgators68 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:50 pm

I thought about a Browning but the one I want would be a lot more than I can afford. My wife says if I want to buy a gun, I have to sell on I don't use much. :oops: :oops:

I'm looking at having about $600.00 to spend on the rifle but I can get away with a little more, most of the time. I already have the scope so I don't have to worry about that.
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby bt58 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:53 pm

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=41215248

This is a Browning on GunBroker for $605 It's the synthetic stock and blued barrel.
bt58
12 Point

Postby ufgators68 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:56 pm

I like this one also. Steyr Prohunter. I have the same one in 25-06 and I love it.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4025860
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby ufgators68 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:41 am

I've made up my mind. This is the one I want and I know the gun shop near here has this model rifle in stock, don't know about the caliber though.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=41018612
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby bt58 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:19 am

Nice! I like it, haven't ever owned a Savage, but have heard good stuff about their newer guns.
bt58
12 Point

Postby bt58 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:36 pm

Reb what kind of recoil does the 25-06 have? I think I'm gonna get a new rifle some time and am kind of leaning towards a 243 or a 25-06. I want something that I could put in the hands of my girlfriend and maybe a friend's kid and the recoil wouldn't be bad, but at the same time it's gonna be something that I'll carry a lot. I really like the Tikka Laminated Stainless, I've heard good stuff about how accurate they are.
bt58
12 Point

Postby iveygun3 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:09 pm

Reb, I know your mind is probably made up, but there is a brand called HOWA out there that is made just like a Weathersby matter of fact they build the Vangurds and some other guns in there factory (made in Japan) and they are very accurate and shoot sweet. I have a few of them and will put them up against many other brands without hesitation.
Bt58 You may want to look at the 7mm-08 as that is what I bought for my fiance to shoot and it has little recoil even less with a Sims on the end and the ballistics on the caliber is pretty good. I even take it some time if I'm going to be walking a long way b/c of weight.
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby ufgators68 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:04 am

bt58 wrote:Reb what kind of recoil does the 25-06 have? I think I'm gonna get a new rifle some time and am kind of leaning towards a 243 or a 25-06. I want something that I could put in the hands of my girlfriend and maybe a friend's kid and the recoil wouldn't be bad, but at the same time it's gonna be something that I'll carry a lot. I really like the Tikka Laminated Stainless, I've heard good stuff about how accurate they are.

It doesn't kick bad at all. But I am used to shooting a Remington 700 30-06 that kicks like a small mule. The Steyr I've got has some kind of recoil reduction pad on the stock, works pretty good I guess. If you're close to Aberdeen you can come shoot it if you'd like. 8)

I prefer it be after deer season, I'm kinda strange about people handling my firearms during hunting season. :lol: :lol:

Edit: Nevermind, I see you're in H'burg now.
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby ufgators68 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:11 am

iveygun3 wrote:Reb, I know your mind is probably made up, but there is a brand called HOWA out there that is made just like a Weathersby matter of fact they build the Vangurds and some other guns in there factory (made in Japan) and they are very accurate and shoot sweet. I have a few of them and will put them up against many other brands without hesitation.
Bt58 You may want to look at the 7mm-08 as that is what I bought for my fiance to shoot and it has little recoil even less with a Sims on the end and the ballistics on the caliber is pretty good. I even take it some time if I'm going to be walking a long way b/c of weight.

I've looked at the Howa rifles and will probably own one before my time is over but right now I'm set on a heavy barrel rifle. I've got this fixation with that danged stainless, fluted, heavy barrel much like a coon has to have that shiny thing in the bottom of the foot trap. :lol: :lol:
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby bt58 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:24 pm

Thanks for the offer Reb, but it'd be quite a ride for me...I'm really leaning towards a 243 I think. I've seen it used with great success on deer and they are a blast to shoot. I'm gonna go one day this week over to Big Buck here in Hattiesburg and see if they have any Tikka rifles in stock and lay my hands on one.
Last edited by bt58 on Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
bt58
12 Point

Postby ufgators68 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:58 pm

Like Ivey suggested to me, you should look at the Howa rifles. They are less expensive than the Tikka and very nice. The gun shop I got my Steyr from was trying to get me to buy one of those and it was cheaper than the Steyr. But I loved the 26" free floating barrel, removable magazine, 2 way adjustable trigger and you can shim the stock to your exact fit without having to trim any kind of rings.

If I happen to change my mind between now and when I buy my next rifle, I'll probably either end up with a Tikka or Howa. Which ever of the two offers a 300 WSM and depending on how much I'd have left over for another Burris Fullfield II.
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby iveygun3 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:15 pm

bt58, have you lost your mind ? sell a good 7mag for a .243. man you can't do that, you will wake-up one day and wish " man i can't believe i sold my 7mag" I hear people all the time say that sort of thing and always regret getting rid of a good deer rifle or a pistol. If you decide on doing so though, you can let me know and I'll have a 7mag for you to buy. Now, here's another thought you may consider that's inexpensive. H&R Handi-rifle in .243 can get at wally-world around $200 or that Howa for about $350 at many dealers. I love those Howa's and plan on getting the 300wsm (saving-up)
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby bt58 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:52 pm

lol...I've come back to my senses. I even posted a classified ad about it, but decided to delete it :wink: I may not be able to get the Tikka that I wanted, but I'm gonna check that Howa out. I'm gonna hang on to my 7 mag though...You never know an opportunity for an elk hunt may come knocking at my door some time :D
bt58
12 Point

Postby bt58 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:43 pm

I'm fixing to go over to Big Buck Sports and lay my hands on some new rifles. I'm hoping to get a few $$$ for Christmas plus I've got some money set aside so maybe I'll have a new toy 8)
bt58
12 Point

Postby ufgators68 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:31 pm

bt58 wrote:I'm fixing to go over to Big Buck Sports and lay my hands on some new rifles. I'm hoping to get a few $$$ for Christmas plus I've got some money set aside so maybe I'll have a new toy 8)

Cool....ya lucky sucker. I just had an unexpected bill come up, my new toy may have to wait a little longer than I had planned. :( :(
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby iveygun3 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:54 pm

goodluck on the shopping BT, I need to save a little more first for my next purchase I think. I want a .300 wsm, but I want to go Mule Deer hunting in '06 also so we'll see what gives.
Let us know how the shopping went.
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby bt58 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:43 pm

The shopping was a disaster :x I didn't think about it being a week before Christmas. I've never liked Big Bucks because they almost have a sporting goods monopoly down here and their service could use some improvement. Well no one would even help me...the place was packed...one guy said he'd be with me in a minute, but 15 minutes later no one else had said a thing to me. I went by a pawn shop that can pretty much order anything, but doesn't keep much in stock and I went to another Sporting Goods store that didn't have much stock. I don't really want to order a gun before I can shoulder it and get a feel for it. I'll probably end up going to BassPro because I know they'll have enough selection for me to look at then I'll shop around and see where I can find a low price.
bt58
12 Point

Postby Roebuck » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:44 pm

You have probably sorted your preference out by now but I have just found the thread,

I have a Winchester Ultimate Shadow in 300wsm. It's the rifle I use most in Africa. The ballistics are very similar to the 300 win Mag. I like it, though some of my friends are nervous of its recoil. I don't think the recoil is bad at all. I like to load my own ammunition and there is not too much data around as yet, so I had my local riflesmith work me up a round. With carefully loaded ammunition I get 0.75 minute of angle three shot groups, using 180gn Hornady SST. I have taken a fair selection of African plains game with it. Yesterday, my riflesmith gave me a muzzle brake for it but I haqve not tried it yet. The rifle is going to the riflesmith this morning, to be threaded to fit a sound moderator and the muzzle brake. Either will tame the recoil a little. One thing for sure. .30-06 ammunition will be less expensive than .300WSM, whether you use factory or handload.

I have a Sauer Outback, fluted barrel, in .25-06. Even with a hot reload, the recoil is perfectly manageable for a person of slighter build. It's a great flat shooting round.

.243 is a very popular calibre over here. It too is very pleasant to shoot and will do less meat damage on the smaller deer species than the .25-06, for a similar weight bullet (I use 100gn). I have a Ruger Stainless/Synthetic in .243, which is fitted with a sound moderator and a Sauer Outback, which is not. Both print sub 0.5 minute of angle groups and are ideal for the recoil shy.

The other calibre mentioned was 7mm-08. I have just acquired a Styer Mannlicher Pro Stainless in that calibre. I picked it up from the riflesmith yesterday. He worked up a load for me that is printing sub .5 minute of angle groups. I have not shot it yet but I am told it is very soft to shoot, especially with the moderator fitted.

Howas are here too but whilst I have not heard any bad reports, good reports are not prolific either.

Anyway, I hope you have the rifle you want or will have shortly.

Good hunting.

Roebuck.
Roebuck
6 Point

Postby ufgators68 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:08 am

Yup, I've already made my mind up...lol. Click on the link below to see it.

http://www.msdeer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607 8)
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby Roebuck » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:38 am

Nice looking rifle Reb. I wish you health to use it.

Roebuck.
Roebuck
6 Point

Return to Guns & Ammo