• Advertisement

acorns/fish DEAD

Whatever you want to discuss

acorns/fish DEAD

Postby saddaddykiller » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:16 pm

forester said 70-80 % of our acerns are gone for this season due to gustav....might make a gooooooooooooood season for food plot huntin u know??? also our biggest pond, every single fish died in it from gustav...and down here in south east la where i fish, from what i hear a very very high % of the fish in the bayous and swamps connected to the ms river are DEAD....them areas were not even 1/2 way back to normal from katrina...and now this happened....my boat will be in hibernation for a long time looks like...
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Re: acorns/fish DEAD

Postby BigRic » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:19 pm

I'm gald I ain't got no acerns on my club. :rotflol:
LIFE MEMBER of VFW POST 9573
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

To walk the streets of gold.
You got to know the password.
It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Postby saddaddykiller » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:32 pm

BigRic wrote:I'm gald I ain't got no acerns on my club. :rotflol:

NO yeller acerns left either?
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby Woodwalker » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:07 pm

Those yellar acorns are as expensive as gold this year. Might as well farm diamonds and hope to get lucky.
In the woods or at the lake. Please leave message.
Woodwalker
8 Point

Postby saddaddykiller » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:13 pm

Woodwalker wrote:Those yellar acorns are as expensive as gold this year. Might as well farm diamonds and hope to get lucky.

i hear you loud and clear on that....im just hoping no acerns= more plot activity... :P
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby Woodwalker » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:26 pm

Your math is what I've based my entire early season on. Hope you're right!
In the woods or at the lake. Please leave message.
Woodwalker
8 Point

Postby goldenhunter » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:49 am

If 70-80% of your acorns are gone, you need to hunt the 20-30% that are left. The deer will hammer those. Better than a pile of corn.
goldenhunter
6 Point

Postby saddaddykiller » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:01 am

goldenhunter wrote:If 70-80% of your acorns are gone, you need to hunt the 20-30% that are left. The deer will hammer those. Better than a pile of corn.

i hear u...only thing cone is good for is to get pics on trail cams....the forester said while he was walking around...he found a odd acern tree for our area that produce acerns way before the other trees acerns are full...i forgot the name of the tree...anyways he saw 12 deer feeding under that tree the other day...they were enhaling them acerns that fell on the ground from the winds....too bad they will be gone by bow season....weird thing is, this tree he found is oonly about 50 yards from a street, and the deer were feeding at 1 pm.........sounds like i need to put my cam out over there this weekend if they aint ate em all by now
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby Rajun cajun » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:27 pm

I was at LSU for a meeting at the chimistry building with a customer. There were numerous sawtooth oks in front of the building that had the ground covered with acorns.

Yep the fish got hammered in the Atchafalay Spillway swamp also.

I even saw dead fish everywhere in the Amite River when I crossed it today.

Dang hurricanes stir up the shallow water where elaves have been covered by silt and cut off the oxgen to decomposition. Once it is stirred up, the material (leaf muck and ooze) restarts decomposition as it sucks up the oxgen from the wter to decompose.

Thus raising the BOD (biological Oxygen Demand and suffcoating fish due to lack of oxygen in the water.

Less acorns means deer move more for food instead of laying up all day and feasting on acorns at night......... I always hated years with heavy acorn crops...except whiteoak acorns......they compete all day for those!
Rajun cajun
Pope&Young

Postby saddaddykiller » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:31 pm

Rajun cajun wrote:I was at LSU for a meeting at the chimistry building with a customer. There were numerous sawtooth oks in front of the building that had the ground covered with acorns.

Yep the fish got hammered in the Atchafalay Spillway swamp also.

I even saw dead fish everywhere in the Amite River when I crossed it today.

Dang hurricanes stir up the shallow water where elaves have been covered by silt and cut off the oxgen to decomposition. Once it is stirred up, the material (leaf muck and ooze) restarts decomposition as it sucks up the oxgen from the wter to decompose.

Thus raising the BOD (biological Oxygen Demand and suffcoating fish due to lack of oxygen in the water.

Less acorns means deer move more for food instead of laying up all day and feasting on acorns at night......... I always hated years with heavy acorn crops...except whiteoak acorns......they compete all day for those!

i just watched louisiansportsman or whatever its called on tv....and wow it was hard to watch seeing all the dead fish.....its gonna be a couple years for it to even be worth heading fishing there....the areas we fish are bayou pigeon..bayou sorrel etc....sucksssss
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Return to General Forum