• Advertisement

Where do you turkey hunt ?

Talk Turkey

Where do you turkey hunt ?

Postby gtk » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:41 am

I used to turkey hunt all the time when in college at DSU. I'd leave early & go to malmasion & hunt. I killed a bird the first time I ever went (thanks to a friend from Utica). I've only killed two since then, and called on up for a friend while hunting Enid.

The last 5-6 years, I just havent had the time or place to go. Driving to Grenada takes too long, and the Holly Springs National Forrest hasnt been too productive to me :)

The last year or so, we have been seeing a few hens on our place in DeSoto cnty.. maybe i'll get a huntable population up here... Of course they all seem to dissappear in the spring...
gtk
Admin

Postby nobucks » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:33 pm

I turkey hunt in tilatobia and here at home.I have only been turkey hunting for four years and am yet to get a bird.I'm going to hunt a place in montgomery county this spring thats got some big birds on it.I hope to get my first bird there. :)
nobucks
12 Point

Postby HoopT » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:08 am

Hi! New to this sight. I hunt in Wilkinson County, and with friends in varios places.

I heard several bird gobbling during deer season, so hopefully it will be a good year!
HoopT
button buck

Postby 14ReelFun » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:30 pm

We've got 6 or 7000 thousand acres leased in Jones county around Leaf river I hunt and my fatherinlaws 100 acres is always good for at least one. My uncle also has some land in Wayne county I'm gonna hunt this year. In the 80's I could hear anywhere from 5 to 10 birds gobbling but since most of the big timber has been cut most times I hear from 1 to maybe 5 but they are much more warrier.
14ReelFun
button buck

Postby gtk » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:45 pm

welcome 14reel.. dont I see you post a lot over @ mdwfp ?

sounds like your set for turkey season :) . You have plenty of land to walk up on a big ole gobbler!
gtk
Admin

Postby ML » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:10 pm

gtk, I've got several good spots in the H.S.Nat'l Forest that I would be glad to take you to, and can almost promise to put us on Gobblers every time! email me if you want to talk more about it and we can swap phone #'s or have breakfast sometime. I work in O.B. and Memphis so I'm up there every day.
May the sun be always at your back with the wind in your face,M.L. McGee
ML
button buck

Postby ML » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:10 pm

gtk, I've got several good spots in the H.S.Nat'l Forest that I would be glad to take you to, and can almost promise to put us on Gobblers every time! email me if you want to talk more about it and we can swap phone #'s or have breakfast sometime. I work in O.B. and Memphis so I'm up there every day.
ML
button buck

Postby gtk » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:37 am

Thanks for the invite ML.. Might have to take you up on that :) time allowing !!!

My "in-laws" are from ripley ms. A couple of times previously, when we go visit during turkey season, I have hunted some public land close to "Ables" grocery over towards ashland.
gtk
Admin

Postby ML » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:40 pm

Went to the Nat'l Forest this morn. to listen for Gobblers! Yes, I know its too early yet, but i just couldn't stand it, i had to get out in the woods. I've been having withdrawal symptoms, like nervousness, eye twitch, a yearning to wear green and brown clothing, an itchy trigger finger, etc. Anyway, it was nice to be out in the woods, if it was for only an hour! Didn't hear any gobbling, but i did jump a deer! Has anyone else out there heard any gobbling activity yet?
ML
button buck

Postby ML » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:41 pm

Went to the Nat'l Forest this morn. to listen for Gobblers! Yes, I know its too early yet, but i just couldn't stand it, i had to get out in the woods. I've been having withdrawal symptoms, like nervousness, eye twitch, a yearning to wear green and brown clothing, an itchy trigger finger, etc. Anyway, it was nice to be out in the woods, if it was for only an hour! Didn't hear any gobbling, but i did jump a deer! Has anyone else out there heard any gobbling activity yet?
ML
button buck

Postby gtk » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:53 pm

ML,

did you get to go scouting this weekend ? It was warm enough Saturday to go...
gtk
Admin

Postby ML » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:51 pm

gtk, Sorry about not responding sooner, but as you know i had trouble getting back on here after i changed my email address. Thank you very much for the much needed help!!!!! In answer to your post... yes, I did go to the hunt club Sat. morn. Just after daybreak we heard several hens off in the distance. We moved up on them to within about 125 yards. We could see some turkeys roosted in the big trees but we couldn't tell if any were gobblers. They yelped and cackled a good bit, but we didn't hear any gobbles. When they finally flew down about 45 mins. later, we counted about 50 or so birds! We then spent about 2 hrs. squirrel huntin' and then decided to ride our 4 wheelers to the north side of the club to check on a deer stand. About halfway there as we came around a sharp bend in the trail, there were about 70 or so turkeys all bunched up in a very small food plot we made right on the side of the trail. Turkeys went everywhere!! Some flying, some running, and in all directions. It was quite a sight!!
ML
button buck

Postby bt58 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:52 pm

I hunt in west Hinds County. I also have started hunting at Marion County WMA because I am in school at USM and it is only 30 minutes away.
bt58
12 Point

Postby gtk » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:28 pm

ahhh.. the good ole days of school..

i know school is hard, but I didnt realize just how much free time I had on my hands when I was in school.

I went to Delta State, and if a season was open, I was at Malmasion WMA every day almost, hunting. Thats where I killed my first turkey.
gtk
Admin

Postby bt58 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:41 pm

gtk wrote:I didnt realize just how much free time I had on my hands when I was in school.

that's what they keep telling me.......I guess I'll find out in a couple of years. I just started hunting turkeys this year and I am after that first bird. I have worked a couple, but just haven't gotten them in yet. My time will come though..........it just gives me another reason to spend my time in the woods.
bt58
12 Point

Postby gtk » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:06 am

bt58,

what are you studying in school ?
gtk
Admin

Postby bt58 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:19 am

Construction Engineering Technology............Long name that basically is a Construction Management (Project Manager, Estimator, etc.) degree with some emphasis on engineering. I'm almost finished with my second year.
bt58
12 Point

Postby Rod » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:51 pm

I turkey hunt on a couple pieces of private ground in central Illinois.
Rod
button buck

Postby gtk » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:57 pm

Hi Rod. Thanks for joining in !

I saw a show on the outdoor channel the other nite, where they had been hunting in Illinois.

Looks like some beautifull land up there...

What part of the state are you from ?

Thx again.

Greg
gtk
Admin

Postby Rod » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:19 pm

Thanks for the welcome Greg. James (nobucks) told me about your site a while back. I've stopped by and read posts a couple times, wasn't sure about registering at first. Didn't know how much I'd have to add to the forum here since I don't live or hunt down there. I finally decided to sign up though.

I live in central Illinois, south of Springfield.
Rod
button buck

Postby gtk » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:51 am

well, glad you signed up. The only thing thats really restricted to MS hunters, is the photo album. I did however, create an album for "out of state" hunts, but if I started running out of disk space, I'd have to let it go first :)

btw. i used to have family that lived in Springfield. it is some pretty country up in that area.. .If I remember correctly, some huge bucks too .
thx

Greg
gtk
Admin

Postby ufgators68 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:24 pm

Monroe county. On my father in law's farm land. Around a 1000 acres total and a few hundred more that he rents. Turkeys everyfreakinwhere but they're staying with hens all day. :cry: :cry:
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum