• Advertisement

Up the tree with me!!!

Up the tree with me!!!

Postby chadbragg » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:54 pm

Thanks GTK for adding this. I plan to use this to share my day to day hunting experiences.
I'm gonna start with sharing a little info about myself. I have a Civil Tech as well as a Forestry degree and work for a dredging company. My job has me traveling for 17 days per month, but I do get 11 days straight off each month. I am currently working in Lacombe, LA, but who knows next month where I'll be.
Well thats enough for now, I'll be heading home next friday 10/31 and hopefully have some good hunting weather. I was fortunate enough to get a doe on Friday Oct 3, but the weather was hot most of the time I was home last rotation.

You guys join in here and use this area to post your hunting experiences, moon phases, & weather.

Here is the one I killed on Oct 3, my 1st hunt of the year.

Last edited by chadbragg on Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TEAM Rack Stackers aka THE WINNERS!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Re: Up the tree with me!!!

Postby chadbragg » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:43 pm

I'm stil here in LA. I don't think I have any finger nails left!!! This weather happens to me everytime, When I'm home its warm and when I'm working it gets cold!!!! I hope to get to hunt frday morning!!!! I just found out that I haveta be back down in New Orleans sunday night til Tuesday(2nd-4th) for a safety workshop :( . I plan to hunt sunday morning then again tuesday morning. Maybe they'll be another cold front come in while I'm home!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:39 am

I finally got to hunt again!!!

I got into the hardwood ridge this morning at app. 6:15 and put the Treelounge on one of my favorite white oaks, I got into position and settled around 6:30 and waited for shooting light. At 7:15 I had a doe and fawn feed past me, after they passed it was slow til app. 8:30 when 2 big does and 1 small one fed they're way to me and I smoked the biggest one at 23yds!!! I used the Rocky Mountain Gator XP and wow what a hole it cut!!! I have some pictures of the damage, I was amazed at the hole. The blood trail was very impressive, she only went 50yds but it was some thick 50yds!!!!

43 degrees
cresent moon
saw 5 deer total
hunted white oak ridge

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:59 pm

Planted 2 food plots yesterday(11/06). One was directaly behind my grandmothers barn and the other was "eric's plot". I'll get some pictures tomorrow, then I'll take more as it grows.

Hunted this AM
It rained til app 6:30 this morning
After the rain stopped I didn't see anything til 8:25 when a 6pt that my uncle shot and grazed
He stayed out at 45yds and never offered a shot. I got wet and cold so I left the woods at 9:00.

Rain
WNW 10mph
50 degrees
hunted the barn stand
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Up the tree with me!!!

Postby chadbragg » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:21 am

11/08
38 deg
WSW winds 5-10
Bright moon

I got in my new ground blind at app. 5:30, I sat there COLD until I cought movement throught the bushed at 8:25. I never saw for sure but it appeared to be a buck chasing a doe. They ran around back and fourth for app. 30min. Finally a big doe walked towards shooting lane at 20yds. I had my camera set on the tripod and pointed in the right direction, I switched it to record and got ready for the shot. When she was broad side I shot only to shoot through my blind about 1/2" under my window :bash:!!! The arrow missed clean by about 3' and I have a good video of it!!! I had practiced many times out of the blind, but just messed up, it'll be my last bow hunt out of the pop-up blind!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:53 pm

I'm back at work :( til either Thanksgiving or the day before. I managed to get my 270, 30-06, & 10mm dialed in and comfirmed dead on. I can't wait to get back to town, I love bow hunting, but looking forward to getting in the woods with my 7yo and girlfriend!!!
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:53 pm

Thursday 11/27/08
30 deg

Well I drove home Wed night and got up to hunt early Thanksgiving morning. When walked up to my shooting tower I noticed that the door was open and I had the only key in my pocket. Well I climbed up to find that some scumb bag had taken a hammer and looks like a screw driver and broke the hasp off. I didn't see anything on this hunt. Later I found out that they had droken into 3 of our shooting houses and it happened between Tuesday and Thursday.
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:57 pm

Friday 11/28
38 deg

Hunted the tower again still haven't seen a deer!!! I think the person that broke the hasp off my lock might have done something around my stand :evil:
chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:11 pm

11/30
41 degrees
I hunted the AM on the edge of a standing bean field. I didn't see anything again. It was my 5th hunt since Thanksgiving that I haven't seen a deer. I don't know whats going on, I bow hunted and killed 2 does and saw deer on just about every hunt. It seems they've gone into hiding!!! Here are a few pic's from this morning of the field and bottom I was in. It seemed like the perfect spot I had about 80 acres of standing beans and a hardwood ridge with a perfect wind. If I can hunt I'll be back in this same spot this evening.

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Postby chadbragg » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:13 pm

12/3
40deg
Southeast wind

hunted hardwood ridge in Biggersville at 6:45 I had 2 yearlings walk past me, while I was setting the camera up to record them I look to the north and see a large yote, I get my 45-70 ready to shoot, but he sees the movement and dashes back into the thicket. Well I look back at the fawns which are directally down wind of me and see a nice buck a big 6 or a good 8 just passed him and he has either smelled me or the yote spooked him. He was walking away and was quartering hard when I shot and he mule kicked but all I found was hair, no blood, no scuff marks, no nothing but hair. The hair looked to be grey with brown tips and there was alot of hair! I walked the whole ridge out with no signs of the deer or way he went. Here is a pic of the point of impact. What do you guys think? I think the bullet must have ran down his side under the skin. Needless to say I was sick.

chadbragg
Pope&Young

Return to Chad Bragg's Journal