The Journey's Of LongShanks: A Modern Longrifle In The South

The Journey's Of LongShanks, A Modern Longrifle

The Journey's Of LongShanks: A Modern Longrifle In The South

Postby jbullard1 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:46 pm

The Journey’s Of LongShanks
A Modern Southern Longrifle

Chapter One

The birth Of LongShanks

The journey begins in the fall of 2007 when my grandson "Little" and I were hunting whitetail deer on a small property in some pretty good hunting woods. On that day we were lucky enough to get an average size female bobcat into shooting range. One shot from the 30 06 had the kitty doing back flips and trying to climb a tree with none working front legs. The bullet had gone through the chest and broken both front legs. The spectacle of flips, cat squalls and Littles hysterical laughing only lasted a few seconds but it’s a memory I’ll keep for years to come.

After going home I skinned the cat and fleshed then tacked it to my barn to dry. I had no idea what to do to the hide or how to tan it so it just hung and dried.

A few months passed and a friend on a forum was wanting a bobcat hide and since this one was just hanging I sent it to him. He was so proud of the hide in return he sent a new 54 caliber Green Mountain 42 inch barrel as thanks. This was the start of another couple months thinking and studying and deciding what to use it for. Here is the barrel compared to BraveHeart my 12 gauge smoothbore flintlock

In the late spring scrap metal prices hit an all time high here so I sold a trailer load of aluminum I’d been collecting and got enough to buy the stock, lock and steel fittings for this build. Building this gun was an adventure in itself and subject of another story.

Here are the completed duo that, along with other traditional guns, will make up this falls journey into the woods of Mississippi and Arkansas.

Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Re: The Journey's Of LongShanks: A Modern Longrifle In The South

Postby jbullard1 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:04 pm

Chapter Two

Introduction to the players

LongShanks
Built by me on the Southern Mountain style and steel fitted, is a 42 inch barreled 54 caliber rifle that is heavy and shoots a lot better than I can. The stock is a Pecatonica grade 2 curly maple and for now the lock is a Durrs Egg percussion. (Many thanks go to TomG, FG1, Captchee, TomH, Wyosmith, Dick Greensides, Matt Avance, Jack Garner and Bear)

BraveHeart
A rebreeched modern 12 gauge 28 inch barrel on a Pecatonica grade 3 curly maple English style shotgun stock and carrying a Durrs Egg flintlock with all the remaining hardware handmade from steel.
Thanks to FG1 for the handmade trigger and guard and numerous e-mails during construction, and to my great friend 2-Belly’s for the name. Live every day to it’s fullest LuLu!!

Daddy’s Old Gun (Mine)
Is a Thompson Center Hawken 50 caliber percussion kit gun I put together in 1986

Gen’s Gun
Started out as a Thompson Center Hawken kit gun in 45 caliber my oldest son assembled as a teenager. Was used very successfully for several years then neglected. This neglect has brought about a rebarrel and caliber change to 54. ( Many Thanks to Tom G)

Granddaddy’s Gun (Grandfather to my children)
We are not exactly sure who made it but on the barrel it has Miroku
A 45 caliber Kentucky style two piece stock kit gun in percussion.

Terry’s Gun (The Other Grandfather)
A CVA 45 cal. kit gun you have already read about in “ Little’s Little Deer”

Brass Betty
Is a 44 caliber Pietta (Colt Clone) revolver
And will be shooting a homebrew 190 gr roundnose hollowpoint lead bullet
in front of 28gr fffg. The range for this gun will be 25 meters maximum and only used under optimum conditions. So in reality Brass Betty is less effective than a bow with training wheels.
A shot of some of the players

BraveHeart and LongShanks

Team Genesis 2013-2014
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby jbullard1 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:19 pm

Chapter Three

The First Shooting Lessons

On August 20th it was time to see how the new rifle shot. I started at 25 yards on a bench and got the sights close then loosed 10 rounds off hand.

Then I upped the powder charge and tried 5 more

After that target I took a break for a couple of weeks and did a little finish work and tuning on the lock and triggers

On September 26 the Hatchie Run Longrifles club had its fall championship shoot. I had to work part of the time but was able to shoot 5-6 of the events. Period dress was optional at this shoot so a lot of normal clothes were worn.

Carl shooting a 54 smoothbore flintlock

Jim shooting a 54 flinter

A couple of the camps
Team Genesis 2013-2014
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby jbullard1 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:20 pm

Addendum
I have other chapters ready to post but with the season upon me I will add this addendum in lieu of a chapter. The hunting season is upon us.

I went this afternoon and cut a few bushes and removed the remains of wasp nests; getting ready for Saturday's season opener.
I will be a busy man working my camera and trying to shoot if the occasion arises.
Hunting the whitetail deer is my most favorite pastime after the other obvious choices.
Here are a few views from two of my stands ( these are enclosed and heated) and can be hunted in any weather
First is the short tower that watches a small food plot and a 1586 foot fire lane that averages 75 ft wide
Here we are right at 200 yards north of the stand.

And inside the stand looking to the south. You can shoot 227 yards in this direction.

And here is the view to the north with a maximum shot range of 301 yards

And here is the stand that controls my 46 acre property, its the one everyone wants to hunt from..It was built with the kids and the girls in our lives in mind. It is 6 ft x 8 ft and fully enclosed and heated with a Vanguard three burner house propane heater, sitting a whopping 12 inches above the ground and equipped with very stable shooting rests in the two long range directions. From this stand 9 of my 14 deer in the last three seasons have been taken. This stand will test the most accomplished shooter as the game is subject to appear at any time and at any range. And being less than 250 yards from a major highway access is very easy. Attractive winter grasses are planted within 75 yards maximum range, again with the kids and girls in mind plus the occasional crazy old man (me) that shoots the old guns
This is the view to the south the right lane is open for 180 yards

Here is the left lane 367 yards as far as you can shoot. A true test for any rifle shooter and will be under water as the rains come. I have killed two deer at over 200 yards and standing in a foot of water down this lane. About 50 yards past as far as you can see is a beaver dam that is close to 200 yards long. As it floods; the various animals walk the edge of the water and pass within 70 yards of this stand.

The view to the east is 237 yards and for some reason this is where the turkey feed and the small dumb deer always show up

This is looking to the west and the shortest shot range from this stand at 115 yards
it is also newly cleared and we have never shot anything in this direction

Here is the danger lane. A major highway is less than 250 yards away and also almost straight at our vehicle parking area so shots in this direction are highly discouraged. As far as I know I am the only one to take a shot in this direction because of the danger when in January 2006, I pulled the trigger on a 6 point with my pickup visible in the scope: I know not safe but I did it anyway

I will probably pull this post into the "Journey's of LongShanks" saga, as the season progresses.
And on a lighter note, while I was there, I set a few traps for beaver. I really need to make a beaver skin capote for my adventures.
Team Genesis 2013-2014
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby jbullard1 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:21 pm

LongShanks and I will watch the sun rise in the morning
I'll have to add another layer of insulation beneath these clothes
Legal deer be forewarned we are loaded and primed