• Advertisement

Well my deer season is over, Who's ready to talk Turkey?

Talk Turkey

Well my deer season is over, Who's ready to talk Turkey?

Postby razrback » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:13 am

I know that I am excited about turkey huntin this year and since we are getting to the end of deer season, might as well start talking turkey. 8)

Is anyone as excited as I am?

Has anyone had any luck hunting Corps of Engineers land around the Tenn-Tom?
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic."
- Ted Nugent
razrback
6 Point

Postby bt58 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:12 pm

Last year was my first year to chase after turkeys and I've been waiting on turkey season since last May! Gonna hopefully get my first bird this spring.
bt58
12 Point

Postby gtk » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:34 am

if'n i had a place to turkey hunt closeby, i could probably get excited about it again.

while in college, i used to hunt Malmasion near Grenada a lot.. Killed my fist turkey the first time I went, and was hooked ever since.
gtk
Admin

Postby razrback » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:11 am

Well I have been turkey hunting for about 4 years now, so I'm relatively new to the sport. I have yet to bag an ole long beard but I hope I can get one this year. I have come close many times but have not been able to seal the deal.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic."
- Ted Nugent
razrback
6 Point

Postby iveygun3 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:36 pm

I am getting there since weather is going the way it is and it didn't help a bit saturday evening when a nice 10" gobbler made his way to a real close look in my 7mags scope. He was a nice bird and I will be looking for him come opening day. :lol:
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby ufgators68 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:01 am

I've only been at it 2 years. The first year I hunted with a bow because I only had a 20 ga that I used for dove hunting. I had at least 4 come within range but I got busted 3 times and the 4th one wouldn't come out the brush for a clear shot with the bow. Year no. 2 I bought a Benelli Nova 12 ga and the weather was so screwy the old boys stayed with the hens most of the season. Hopefully this year, the weather will be right. I've watched several toms this year during deer season and I know where they are roosting. The hens are roosting in their usual spots as well. I've got one tom in particular that I want BAD, his beard is dragging the ground and he's got some hellacious spurs on him as well. :twisted:
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby razrback » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:13 am

Sounds like you got them figured out Reb, but I have experienced turkeys being in one place in the fall and they have move to another by spring. I bet it was tough bow hunting them, did you use a blind?
- Ted Nugent
razrback
6 Point

Postby ufgators68 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:33 am

razrback wrote:Sounds like you got them figured out Reb, but I have experienced turkeys being in one place in the fall and they have move to another by spring. I bet it was tough bow hunting them, did you use a blind?

The hens never change where they roost. Of course being female, they could decide to this year. :oops: Once I spot them, I can tell you where they will be the next morning and where they will be going. I got them "figured out" right as season was ending last year. 8) If I don't get one this year, I'm gonna be greatly ticked off.

I sort of used a blind...one of those umbrella/blind setups. Didn't work too well trying to draw back. Had one slip in on me from the wrong way and spooked the bird I was drawing on. Sent both of them hauling butt. I now have a pop up blind but I don't use it for turkeys since I bought my shotgun. Of course, I haven't had one in range since I got my shotgun either. :x
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby razrback » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:33 pm

Yeah man, they are hard to get. I guess that is why I like hunting them so much, but it can be aggrevating. It is a challenge no doubt about it. I have got some new land scoped out, I just hope there is less people hunting it than Noxubee refuge. 8)
- Ted Nugent
razrback
6 Point

Postby ufgators68 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:39 pm

razrback wrote:Yeah man, they are hard to get. I guess that is why I like hunting them so much, but it can be aggrevating. It is a challenge no doubt about it. I have got some new land scoped out, I just hope there is less people hunting it than Noxubee refuge. 8)

I'm quite lucky on the land part, I married a farmer's daughter. :lol: :lol:
He owns close to 1000 acres and leases close to the same amount.

Now if I can just steal the keys to his bulldozer, he keeps pushing down oak trees and clearing the brush along ditches. :shock: :shock:
ufgators68
Boone&Crockett

Postby razrback » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:43 pm

That sounds good. Since I'm actually from Arkansas I have had no luck with land or lease. So I am stuck hunting public land, I have ran into some major MORONS on the refuge. I had a guy and girl walk right up on me. I had to stand up take off my mask and holler at them to get there attention. Then the idiots walk up to me and said "Are you doing any good?" DUHUUH
- Ted Nugent
razrback
6 Point

Postby iveygun3 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:24 pm

saw 2 turkeys carrying paint brushes around their necks Sat. thought they were about to start laying some paint on that green field. then saw at least 40 hens in another green field while driving down a back road, looked like a field full of black birds :lol:
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby razrback » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:27 am

Man alive, I hope I can get into em like that.
- Ted Nugent
razrback
6 Point

Postby iveygun3 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:30 pm

Yeah, hope they don't wonder to far off. thying already to get permission to hunt area where all those hens were. also planning to go to Texas to hunt Rio Grande birds if it works out, a kinda of prescouting trip for a deer hunt in the fall (good excuse anyways)
iveygun3
Charter Member

Postby jbnance » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:38 am

yelp...yelp...yelp...

GOBBLE GOBBLE!!!!!!!!
It's that time again and I cant wait!
jbnance

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum