• Advertisement

Coyotes

Small Game & Varmit hunting Talk

Coyotes

Postby Woodwalker » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:42 pm

I call a lot of predators for owners of deer leases after the season closes. I've had great success with a digital caller and decoys, but was wondering if anyone uses dogs to decoy em in. I've read a good bit about it and it seems like a useful tactic...any info would be appreciated.
In the woods or at the lake. Please leave message.
Woodwalker
8 Point

Re: Coyotes

Postby 204 ruger » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:48 pm

WW, how long do you sit for yotes? Tried them one night at camp, but only called in bobcats. We brought 2 out but called in 4 in 30 minutes. I am still not having any luck with the dogs.

Just picked up a Foxpro ZR6 and have not deer hunted in 3 weeks due to bustin' crows.

Wish I had got it years ago
204 ruger
6 Point

Postby merrillcd_mem » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:52 pm

I watched a video where they had electronic using sounds of house dogs. Yotes were coming in for sure.
merrillcd_mem
Boone&Crockett

Postby Woodwalker » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:10 pm

204 ruger wrote:WW, how long do you sit for yotes? Tried them one night at camp, but only called in bobcats. We brought 2 out but called in 4 in 30 minutes. I am still not having any luck with the dogs.

Just picked up a Foxpro ZR6 and have not deer hunted in 3 weeks due to bustin' crows.

Wish I had got it years ago

Those crows sure are fun, I enjoy them too! I usually sit for about 25 minutes when callin yotes, and 45 for bobcats. Even though your outing was contrary to my advice, the cats usually respond slower. If they haven't been pressured the dogs will usually show in less than a half hour. Predator hunting is a great way to get in good with landowners before deer season opens. I plan on using some of my mountain curs to decoy in the yotes this February... been workin with them all winter.
Woodwalker
8 Point

Postby racklover » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:51 am

ya'll huntin day or nite? ever do any good in daylight hours? seeing number of yotes on trail cams & while deer hunting.... they sure seem healthy this year. would like to give them a try this year.
racklover
4 Point

Postby meat hunter » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:30 pm

When I was out west (Arizona/Mexico border) we had a guy that worked with us had a couple of airdale jips. He would put the dogs out in front of him and then call in coyotes. On command he would release those airdales. He got quite a few coyotes that way. I wish I had thought of that when I had my airdales, cause they were some coyote chasing fools. The ones I had ran with a couple of really fast beagles, when the coyotes were bayed you had to be quick if you wanted to see the coyotes alive, they did not last long.

Don't have any airdales anymore, now I got bird dogs. Maybe I should trade them in. There seems to be more coyotes than quail around.

Vaya con Dios
meat hunter
8 Point

Postby mikybigbuck » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:17 pm

i popped one this morning whille deer hunting in the snow....it was 10 am, and i was coooooooooooollllddddd... :lol:
Looking for Mr Big
mikybigbuck
Non-Typical

Postby Woodwalker » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:35 pm

racklover wrote:ya'll huntin day or nite? ever do any good in daylight hours? seeing number of yotes on trail cams & while deer hunting.... they sure seem healthy this year. would like to give them a try this year.

I do most of my hunting in day light hours. I've killed a lot of yotes right before dark, but have my best luck in the first 15 minutes of daylight! They are a lot of fun, and a heck of a challenge!
Woodwalker
8 Point

Postby Abennett » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:15 pm

I started crow hunting last year and am addicted i just made one of those electronic callers for crows and fixin to try it on the coyotes i know it will call them in but from what i hear they allways try to circle downwind and where i hunt down on the coast its so thick it would be tough to bust em before they wind me
Jus tryin to get to full draw
Abennett
4 Point

Return to Small Game & Varmits