• Advertisement

Planting food plots.

Food Plot info/questions, Herd Management, QDMA ...

Planting food plots.

Postby nobucks » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:06 am

We are getting ready to plant our spring and summer foodplots.We are planting the clay peas and corn and others for the deer.This will be our first year to plant a spring and summer plot. :)
nobucks
12 Point

Postby bt58 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:15 am

My summer food plots are getting planted right now too.........about 600 acres of corn.......
bt58
12 Point

Postby gtk » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:31 pm

As soon as it dries out enough, I will start disking my corn plot. I have some ladino clover that will last up till it gets real hot.

Also, if time allows, I plan on trying some of those iron-clay peas youv'e been talking about.
gtk
Admin

Postby bt58 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:08 pm

I've heard good stuff about the iron clay peas. They are supposed to grow anywhere no matter what the soil type is. I've never planted any myself, but let me know how they do for you. I may try to plant some next year.
bt58
12 Point

Postby bt58 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:44 am

Tell me what ya'll think........as you saw above I'm hunting our farm land so all the main open areas will be planted in cotton or corn. They will tear the cotton and corn up, but is it enough or should I be trying to get some small plots of something else in.
bt58
12 Point

Postby gtk » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:23 am

Good question.

Larry Castle once told me that food plotts are actually nothing more than a "tool" for harvesting does. Unless your deer herd is severely overpopulated, food pots really do not make that much difference in a deer's health.

The way I understand it: Deer are browsers, they move & feed constantly. Cows will sit in one place and eat all day, but deer "browse", they are contantly on the move when eating. Food plots are important mainly two times a year: Late Summer when all the greenery is dieing, and Late winter when most of the browse and mast crop are gone.

Its hard to answer your question. I could be way off, but I've always heard, if deer are eating cotton, then they are hungry. The corn, of course, will be gone after harvesting unless the farmer leaves some around the edges. In late winter, how does your browse (honeysuckle, ect) look ? Can you see a browse line ? If so, food plots definately wouldn't hurt. It would at least draw more deer into a particular area for you to see.

Regardless, I think planting a fall food plot is a good idea. I'm not sure about Spring & Summer plots. It all depends on the herd I guess.

Greg
gtk
Admin

Postby bt58 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:41 pm

Well they say the roundup ready cotton that is the seed type being used now produces a salty plant and that is why the deer are eating more cotton. We have seen a huge increase of deer damage to cotton over the past few years. I also believe that the deer are drawn to the cotton fields because the pesticides that are used there will keep the bugs off of them in the hot summer time.......no scientific reasoning there, just my country boy logic :wink: . I do plant some food plots in some corners when we cut the corn in the fall, I just have never planted any spring and summer plots. I wish soybeans were worth growing, but they'll break a farmer.........they will put some antlers on deer. I think I'll save my money and try to get some better plots this fall........I'm trying to get a friend of mine's two kids on their first deer. Our browse holds up real well usually so deer typically don't hammer food plots until late January and February.
bt58
12 Point

Postby nobucks » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:48 pm

Its better to plant small food plots of about 1 ac in size through out your land.Big plots are ok if thats all you can plant but if you have plots all over the place the deer will come to them better from what we have learned and studyed.We have some big plots and small scatterd through out our place and the deer work on them well.We plant on old loading areas the loggers left and around the edges of the fields where trees are planted.I feal like it helps to keep the deer on our place.They do like to brose so that why we have plots all over the woods like we do.
nobucks
12 Point

Postby omegaman66 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:46 am

Your cotton and corn will all be gone during the winter. If I were you I would dedicate an acre here and there, maybe in strips along the edge to be planted in something that they can feed on during the cold weather. Clover would be a good choice. Clover plots are a great place for a kid to get a kill which is why I hope to have a good clover plot on my place this year.

I have never planted corn but I wonder if their isn't something like Iron clay peas that you can plant (broadcast) in the corn before it is harvested that would survive the harvesting of the corn and be dead by spring.

http://www.TheJump.Net
omegaman66
button buck

Postby bt58 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:42 am

I typically plant wheat and clover in the fall.......when we cut corn and disc the stalks in. All I have to do is broadcast the seed. Gonna go with more clover and less wheat this year.
bt58
12 Point

Postby gtk » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:57 am

i disked up my corn plot Sunday after Church.. As soon as these cool nites pass, I will plant my roundup ready corn.

I also cut my whitetail clover real high.. It looks real good right now.

Hopefully, I will have a better corn plot this year. Last year it was too wet to fertilize, and it didnt make much, just enough for the coons to get a taste :cry:
gtk
Admin

Postby nobucks » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:27 pm

May's the time to get it done guys.We are going to plant in a few days.The deer sign is looking good for the up and coming Oct 1.Five more guys and its here. :D :wink:
nobucks
12 Point

Postby nobucks » Thu May 12, 2005 9:51 am

Picked up the clay peas at the co-op today.Going to plant next weekend.
nobucks
12 Point

Postby gtk » Thu May 12, 2005 11:00 am

I got my corn field ready last weekend. Hopefully I can take off work tomorrow, and get my round-up ready corn in the ground !! Maybe this year it will grow something besides grass!
gtk
Admin

Postby nobucks » Thu May 12, 2005 12:49 pm

How good does the round-up ready corn put on?
nobucks
12 Point

Postby bt58 » Thu May 12, 2005 1:13 pm

Roundup Corn is all that farmers are planting these days. They've got it down now where you aren't really giving anything up as far as your crop goes.
bt58
12 Point

Postby gtk » Thu May 12, 2005 1:18 pm

Last year, my rr-ready corn didn't product squat ! But, it was always too wet to fertilize.

The year before, it made a great corn crop. On about two acres of corn, the deer in my area fed on my corn from late november thru February. Each stalk had at least 3 ears of corn, which is pretty good for deer plots !

Bottom line, the roundup ready corn is more expensive to plant, but cheaper & easier to maintain when it gets going. No plowing, no weeds to compete with the corn.
gtk
Admin

Postby nobucks » Thu May 12, 2005 1:24 pm

I might give it a try.Will I get busted for hunting over it!!! :lol: :lol: :wink:
nobucks
12 Point

Postby gtk » Thu May 12, 2005 1:27 pm

lol .. all you have to do, as the law states, is follow "normal agricultural practices"

I just want to know who defines "normal agricultural practices"
gtk
Admin

Postby nobucks » Thu May 12, 2005 1:30 pm

Whats normal!!! Do i cut it under or leave it up??? :?
nobucks
12 Point

Postby gtk » Sat May 14, 2005 6:29 am

I wouldn't cut it under.. I usually let the wind blow the corn down, or help it along by driving my 4wheeler thru it & knocking it down.
gtk
Admin

Postby nobucks » Sun May 29, 2005 6:35 pm

Got the rain we needed on the foodplots. :D
nobucks
12 Point

Return to Wildlife Habitat