• Advertisement

Climbing Sticks

Outdoor related gear talk

Climbing Sticks

Postby a10acfan1 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:31 pm

Does anyone use climbing sticks or steps to get to your hang on stand? If so, what kind or brand and any pros or cons.
User avatar
a10acfan1
4 Point
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:54 am
Location: Olive Branch

Re: Climbing Sticks

Postby gtk » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:15 am

Throw any climbing "steps" you have away... they are an accident waiting for a place to happen.

I do use climbing sticks.. I think its the "bass pro" brand. I picked up several one year.. 16' for $35 bucks ..

bwm & I saw some climbing sticks in walmart the other day for about the same prices.
User avatar
gtk
Admin
 
Posts: 19140
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:53 pm
Location: Olive Branch, MS

Re: Climbing Sticks

Postby FC » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:17 am

I've got a set of rails I use sometimes, I really like them. But I didn't pay anywhere
near what they're asking for them now. I was kinda shocked when I saw what they were asking for them. I've never used a stick thou and those seem more in line price wise of what I'd be willing to pay. I see alot of folks using the sticks. Maybe try a set of those first or better yet find someone with a set and try em out. I've used the steps before but for nothing more than a leg up to limbs to ascend higher.
Like GTK said, the steps leave alot to be desired. Put those wide enough so if you do come down, the steps won't be ripping ya on the way down!
Image
User avatar
FC
Boone&Crockett
 
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:50 pm
Location: Brandon/Rez. Ms

Re: Climbing Sticks

Postby a10acfan1 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:14 pm

Thanks or the replies guys. Greg, why are the steps an accident waiting to happen? Elaborate please. I do have two pairs of sticks. One by Millineum and the other from BPS. Both wear my 55 yo backside out. LOL Was watching a video on Youtube about some Lone Wolf climbing sticks. This guy made it look like a piece of cake. Do a search. Very informative and would like your comments. I do think I'm gonna invest in a lifeline from HSS to go from the ground all the way to the top for added safety.
User avatar
a10acfan1
4 Point
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:54 am
Location: Olive Branch

Re: Climbing Sticks

Postby gtk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:46 am

Because I had one break off in my hand, when I was 15+ in a tree.. and this is what they put in my foots.

Image
Image
User avatar
gtk
Admin
 
Posts: 19140
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:53 pm
Location: Olive Branch, MS

Re: Climbing Sticks

Postby a10acfan1 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:59 am

Greg, Now that's a good enough reason for me. What kind were they? That's a very good reminder for everyone to use a certified fall restraint system. It might be a good reminder for us all if you put those pics in a topic of "what could happen" before gun season starts.
User avatar
a10acfan1
4 Point
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:54 am
Location: Olive Branch

Re: Climbing Sticks

Postby FC » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:01 am

YIKES !!! Shattered both ? Sounds like it took a Long time to recover
from that ... Hope you had someone with you that day to help ya out.
Image
User avatar
FC
Boone&Crockett
 
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:50 pm
Location: Brandon/Rez. Ms

Re: Climbing Sticks

Postby gtk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:40 am

yeah, bwm's dad was with me and carried me to my truck & then the hospital.. matter of fact, bwm's dad has taken me to the emergency room on a couple of occasions :W:
User avatar
gtk
Admin
 
Posts: 19140
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:53 pm
Location: Olive Branch, MS

Re: Climbing Sticks

Postby gtk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:41 am

a10acfan1 wrote:That's a very good reminder for everyone to use a certified fall restraint system.

100% agree

You will NEVER find me in a tree again, without a safety harness.
User avatar
gtk
Admin
 
Posts: 19140
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:53 pm
Location: Olive Branch, MS

Re: Climbing Sticks

Postby meat hunter » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:16 pm

I have a homemade set made out of really heave 2" square tubing with half inch bolts welded to the side. You could use them as a meatpole to hang cattle on. I have never had any problem with them. If anyone has a welder and wants to make some let me know, I will try to send a picture.
meat hunter
8 Point
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:02 pm
Location: Cockrum, MS (btw Olive Branch & Hernando)

Re: Climbing Sticks

Postby nsutton » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:05 pm

If you're talking about the screw in steps, I've used them for years w/o any problems, guess I've been lucky....gtk, that looks painful, do you have any problems with it still?
nsutton
10 Point
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:58 pm
Location: collierville, tn

Re: Climbing Sticks

Postby gtk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:22 pm

nsutton wrote:If you're talking about the screw in steps, I've used them for years w/o any problems, guess I've been lucky....gtk, that looks painful, do you have any problems with it still?

I can forecast the weather, my foot will start hurting before a big storm blows thru or a drastic change in the weather. I cant bend my foot but about 20% of what I'm supposed to.. I can't really run, and I have arthritis in it, and I've had two surgeries (postponed the 3rd) on my knee, I think for overcompensating for my foot.... So yea, i still have problems with it :D

Mine were the folding screw in steps. The lag bolt that went in the tree broke off.
User avatar
gtk
Admin
 
Posts: 19140
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:53 pm
Location: Olive Branch, MS

Re: Climbing Sticks

Postby nsutton » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:28 pm

gtk wrote:
nsutton wrote:If you're talking about the screw in steps, I've used them for years w/o any problems, guess I've been lucky....gtk, that looks painful, do you have any problems with it still?

I can forecast the weather, my foot will start hurting before a big storm blows thru or a drastic change in the weather. I cant bend my foot but about 20% of what I'm supposed to.. I can't really run, and I have arthritis in it, and I've had two surgeries (postponed the 3rd) on my knee, I think for overcompensating for my foot.... So yea, i still have problems with it :D

Mine were the folding screw in steps. The lag bolt that went in the tree broke off.


Yeah I don't like the folding style, I only use the one piece. That stinks about the problems you have! :cry:
nsutton
10 Point
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:58 pm
Location: collierville, tn

Re: Climbing Sticks

Postby gtk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:49 pm

nsutton wrote:Yeah I don't like the folding style, I only use the one piece. That stinks about the problems you have! :cry:

I ain't complaining.. It could always been/be worse :ylsuper:
User avatar
gtk
Admin
 
Posts: 19140
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:53 pm
Location: Olive Branch, MS

Re: Climbing Sticks

Postby nsutton » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:58 pm

gtk wrote:
nsutton wrote:Yeah I don't like the folding style, I only use the one piece. That stinks about the problems you have! :cry:

I ain't complaining.. It could always been/be worse :ylsuper:

I hear ya...seems like the older I get the less I complain..guess you live and learn,huh!
nsutton
10 Point
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:58 pm
Location: collierville, tn

Re: Climbing Sticks

Postby FC » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:36 am

Everybody's rung off a bolt or two before, If you've turn a few wrenchs in your life
you know that feeling ...

Everything's going according to plan and all of a sudden, One end is in your hand !

In GTK's case, his life was hanging in the balance. I'd bet that feeling he had when
the step rung off was filled with adrendaline ...
Image
User avatar
FC
Boone&Crockett
 
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:50 pm
Location: Brandon/Rez. Ms


Return to Gear

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], Google [Bot] and 0 guests

cron