• Advertisement

Thinsulate Question

Outdoor related gear talk

Thinsulate Question

Postby gtk » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:18 am

Do you think there would be any real noticeable difference in warmth, for basically the same boot, one with 600 gram thinsulate (Irish Setter), and one with 800 grams (Rocky)?

Both weigh about the same, but the 600 gram feels better
gtk
Admin

Re: Thinsulate Question

Postby BIGERN76 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:15 pm

If your feet sweat at all they will be cold no matter what. I had a pair of 1200 gram boots (I get cold easily), and my feet were freezing. I went to Mossy Oak and asked for a recommendation and was told to get 400-600 grams b/c my feet were sweating in the boot and getting wet, that's why they got cold. So I did, and it helped. But, my feet are still sweating so this year I am wearing non-insulated boots with a good pair of wool socks.
Remington 700/CDL 30-06
2009 Diamond Black Ice
Bear Grizzly

QSMA Pro Staff
BIGERN76
Pope&Young

Postby leepurvis » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:54 pm

I'd do the 600, gives you more flexibility if the weather is a bit warmer. Like Bigern said, gotta figure a way to keep those feet from sweating if you want to keep them warm.
Lee

"Dear Life, when I said "Can my day get any worse?" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge"- Will Ferrell

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.” Thomas Paine
leepurvis
Pope&Young

Postby danielw » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:44 am

I learned the hard way what bigern76 said, if yo feet sweat and mine do, you will never be able to keep them warm. The only way I had found to keep my sweaty feet warm was to wear a pair of neprene socks that had that felt like stuff on the inside, you better have more than two pair to rotate them to let them dry out. Other than that, I have a couple of uninsulated snake boots that I wear or my leather pull on leather boots, toes stay comfortable unless it is below 35 degrees. This way the feet may get cold but they are not wet and WILL warm back up.
danielw
10 Point

Postby ajlineman » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:46 pm

If you walk a lot the 600 are to much, go with like a 200 grams gortex lined boot, if you don't walk much the 800 rocky is my choice depending on which rocky it is I will have to see which ones I have when I get to the house
born and raised hunting
ajlineman
10 Point

Postby terry08 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:58 am

I switched to the rubber Muck Boot and have not had cold feet since.
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby a10acfan1 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:48 pm

If you walk in no matter what you do your feet will sweat. I wear nothing but a light sock liner in extreme cold weather when I use my 1200 Thinsulate rubber boots. Get to the stand and slip boots off and either air dry ( cool feet ) or when warrants put another good warm, DRY pair of sock on. Climb tree.
a10acfan1
4 Point

Postby screenshot » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:32 am

I have the sweaty feet problem as well i have carried another pair of socks to the stand and changed them
I wear non insulated bots all year
Deer Team 6
screenshot
Non-Typical

Postby iveygun3 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:18 pm

Irish Setters are way more comfortable IMO. I wear non-insulated I S with a pr of wool socks year around for hunting and then work great. Oh yeah, there snake boots as well.
"I am a Glock-O-Holic no intervention needed." Iveygun3
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Thomas Jefferson
iveygun3
Charter Member

Return to Gear