• Advertisement

Photos of The Twins

Please share you outdoor photography here.

Photos of The Twins

Postby FireCloud » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:06 pm

Last year twin fawns were born on my land, who have been named Andy and Alice. They are about 9 months old now. I see them often and get a lot of photos of them. Here they are wandering down the East Trail about 10 AM today.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: Photos of The Twins

Postby gtk » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:23 pm

8)
i've read about Alice & Andy in your blog
gtk
Admin

Postby LadyHunter » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:59 pm

I read about them in your blog also. But i wonder... what are you going to do when Andy grows into a big ole trophy buck?? :W:
:lol: :lol:
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:08 pm

Ladyhunter, before I got married, my wife to be and I once raised two pigs and, of course, she gave them names and we fed and cared for them. When it came time to slaughter the hogs, she predictably would not eat anything from them. I, on the other hand, ate the hams, bacon, etc. with gusto. :D

It is the same with deer or any animals. My take on it is the animals were given to man for food and, being the predator that man naturally is by nature, I enjoy eating the meat from animals I kill, butcher, and cook.

So, I may well put an arrow through both of the twins when they are mature and ready to be harvested, if some eager beaver "if it's brown, it's down" hunter does not get them first. Afer all, I shot their mother with my bow on October 29 last year with one twin standing on either side of her. So I have no mental reservations about shooting these two deer IF the situation is a proper one AND I need the food. I only hunt for food, not for antlers nor merely for sport. Thus I can and often do let deer walk. I let deer walk without shooting them 45 times on my land last year, including the twins several times thereafter even though both were "legal" deer under our laws.

These twins roam through the subdivision regularly and one of my hunting partners told me yesterday he is leaving them alone for now but come fall he will shoot them if he gets the chance. So they may not make it to maturity as the "hood" I live in has a lot of people in it, including the hunting buddy I mentioned, that shoot every deer they see.

I would not shoot either of them for another 3 years at least. I prefer to let deer mature, and selectively harvest the deer as needed for good herd management. Unfortunately, I only control my 20 acres so there is not much I can do except try to make my land a sanctuary for the younger deer and control the hunting pressure here.

Here is a couple of photos of the twins about a week after I shot their mother.

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby LadyHunter » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:32 am

I agree with you. A lot of people dont understand why I let some deer walk. We simply dont need the meat and I dont like to waste it. I watched a number of younger deer last year and passed on them with my gun. With my bow I was never right for a shot. This year my goal will be to get one with my bow. I am also going to take my camera more this year and take more pictures. I am inspired by the pictures that a lot of members post on here. Firecloud I hope you can make it to MSDEER DAY! And bring some of your pic.
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby jbullard1 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:44 pm

This could turn out to be a very interesting topic
For me I'd just have to watch them grow and Mature
I have no need to prove I can kill a deer! My, now favorite memories are of the "Ones I let Walk" And With my freezer full I just watch, Unless it's a 160+ class Buck then it's game on :D
I have way too many grand kids that hunt for my freezer to be empty
:2TU: :2TU: :2TU: :2TU:
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby FireCloud » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:39 am

I do hope to make it to MS Deer Day! Sounds like a great event. Plus, I can eat enough crawfish to make them wish they charged more than $20 bucks. :D

I used to be "deer crazy" and wanted to shoot at any deer that passed by. In those days, you basically could shoot any buck with visible antlers and on "doe day" you could shoot any thing else that did not have antlers. Now, I have a better understanding of how to manage for an improved, higher quality deer herd and overall greater hunting experience, so I really don't want to shoot any deer that I cannot identify and know it is one I want to harvest.

Yeah, if a 160 class buck strolls by, I don't need to think much before deciding to shoot. I can ground check him just fine after he is down. But for lesser deer, and for does, I want to see them well and long enough to age them, determine if they are legal bucks, and judge whether or not it would be beneficial overall to harvest them or better to let them grow some more.

Letting a deer walk is like "catching and releasing" smaller fish. It makes good sense in most cases to do that. (It's also not a bad idea when dating women either!)

If you need to eat, then I understand taking a lesser animal for food. If the herd is overpopulating or excessive crop damage is happening, then you may also need to take some corrective action and shoot lesser deer. But otherwise, in most cases, it pays to be selective in what deer you shoot.

There are days when I take my camera to the stand with me and if the deer that come to eat are not ones I want to harvest, I happily put my weapon aside and just spend time observing the deer and taking wildlife photos. My enjoyment of time spent in the outdoors includes pleasure from many things beyond just hunting. Now that I have a large 5' x 7' tree stand, on most pleasant afternoons I take my netbook computer out to the stand and just do my work there. Its so awesome to be able to work from my tree stand that I now do it every chance I get. I consider it simply a side benefit if some game happens to pass by while I am working.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Return to Wildlife Photography