• Advertisement

Snake ID Quiz

Please share you outdoor photography here.

Snake ID Quiz

Postby FireCloud » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:44 pm

This afternoon's fun in the woods included an encounter with this four foot long snake. The question for those who are reptilian lovers is what kind of snake is this one? Take a look at the photos and post your answer. I will confirm the first correct answer.

BTW, while "dead" is also a valid answer in this case, that is not the one I am wanting. :) You have to correctly ID the variety of this snake.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: Snake ID Quiz

Postby Rube » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:06 pm

Southern Water Snake
TEAM BUCK STOPPERS

In Omnia Paratus
Rube
Non-Typical

Postby jbullard1 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:58 pm

My only question is "Did you kill this snake??"
I NEVER Would
Not sure of the proper name but I call them a King Snake or Chicken snake
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby FireCloud » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:46 pm

Being an avid turkey hunter, I routinely kill each and every snake on my land that I encounter. According to the MDWFP, snakes are one of the top 5 destroyers of turkey nests, as they eat the eggs. I manage my land in favor of the game species so every snake killed is a potential hatch of turkeys that has a better chance of survival.

I always carry a clip of #9 bird shot .22 shells with me anytime I am in the woods at this season of the year. I put 5 shots in this snake, then charcoaled him to a crisp in my firepit on some brush I was already burning.

I have a LARGE quantity of snakes on my land. At times they have gotten into my house. A three foot long shed snakeskin was removed a couple years ago from the attic. The snake was making a home near the water heater vent pipe to stay toasty warm. I killed a copperhead moccasin under my lawn mower once and just two days ago found another shed snakeskin by my backyard gate. It is a constant battle here to keep the snakes under control and prevent over population, unwanted encounters with humans, and snakes killing game species I want to protect.

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby BigRic » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:04 pm

King snake... they kill poisonus snakes
LIFE MEMBER of VFW POST 9573
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

To walk the streets of gold.
You got to know the password.
It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Postby jbullard1 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:39 pm

Firecloud
I understand 100% what you are saying and that is where you and I differ.
I have removed king snakes from my outbuildings by hand and never harmed them.
As to the turkey; I feel the possums , coon, bobcats and coyotes are the larger threats but thats just my opinion
Team 5 Co-Champion with Team 1 2014-2015
Team Genesis 2013-2014
Team Rack Blaster 2012-2013
Resident Geezer and Granpaw
jbullard1
Granpaw

Postby BigRic » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:42 pm

coons are the biggest threat..
LIFE MEMBER of VFW POST 9573
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

To walk the streets of gold.
You got to know the password.
It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Postby LazyGhost » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:29 pm

If it slithers, it shall receiveth the hoe :D
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:06 pm

jbullard1 wrote:Firecloud
I understand 100% what you are saying and that is where you and I differ.
I have removed king snakes from my outbuildings by hand and never harmed them.
As to the turkey; I feel the possums , coon, bobcats and coyotes are the larger threats but thats just my opinion

The cheif of the Wild Turkey program at MDWFP says snakes are one of the top five destroyers of turkey nests. Bobcats, coyotes, fox, birds of prey, wild hogs, etc. are NOT even in the top five. Coons, possums, skunks, crows, and snakes are the top five.

Thus the researchers at MDWFP have a factually based different opinion than yours about the level of threat snakes are to turkey nests. I am going with their research in managing my land.

I do understand that King snakes are relatively docile and are not poisonous snakes so you certainly can pick them up and handle them. People even keep them as pets. However, since I manage my land for turkeys and other wild game, this King snake and all other snakes are a legitimate threat to my success in establishing a larger turkey population here.

But I will make a deal with you. The next one I run across here, I will just sack him up and bring him over to your place if you want to keep him. That way I won't have to kill him. I only kill for a purpose, not for sport. Thus I have no qualms with letting this snake live elsewhere...just not on my land. If you want me to bring the snakes to you, just let me know.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:54 am

a good sized king snake! we don't bother them none... matter of fact we like to see them around the barn, they keep the mice/rats/kittens population in check ;)
gtk
Admin

Postby FireCloud » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:53 pm

OK..ok...I won't kill any more of the king snakes around here. I 'll just collect a sack full and bring them to the MSDeer day for those of you who want to take home a few for your barns, house etc. to help eat your kittens, baby chickens, or whatever. :D

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby Bullie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:10 am

gtk wrote:a good sized king snake! we don't bother them none... matter of fact we like to see them around the barn, they keep the mice/rats/kittens population in check ;)

I really don't have a dog in this fight but, I am gonna have to stick up for any snake that will eat a cat.

:nono: I do not have a barn or even a cat that needs eating. So, I will not be a host to any relocated snakes even if they are delivered to the cookout. I am just saying that it moves the snake to a more favorable position on my worthless animals list to know that it will eat the number #4 most worthless animal (behind skeeters, ticks/chiggers, and flying stinging things).
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting.

Current B&S World Record Holder 1.96 B&S points taken in the Mississippi Hills.

QSMA President and resident expert on all things squirrel.

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club
Bullie
QSMA Know-it-All

Return to Wildlife Photography