• Advertisement

Young Doe At Mineral Station (Updated)

Please share you outdoor photography here.

Young Doe At Mineral Station (Updated)

Postby FireCloud » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:56 pm

This morning a young doe visited my mineral station for about five minutes just before 10 AM. This deer is probably Eve, who showed up one night last week with three other deer. Here are a couple photos of this doe.

I refreshed the mineral station two days ago with another 10 pounds of minerals. I know that at least 6 or 7 different deer have visited in the past couple of weeks as I have their photos, with some deer visiting several times. It appears they are consuming about 2 - 3 pounds per week of the mineral mix.

As you see, the deer typically stand right in the minerals and dig them with their hooves. I also replanted the food plot this past weekend. For kicks, I threw in a bunch of left over seeds of various kinds (corn, peas, beans, etc.) from planting my spring garden in with the Pennington food plot seed mixture. That was a mistake! Everything you can imagine has shown up to root up the seeds, from all kinds of birds, to chipmunks, squirrels, armadillos, raccoons, and who knows what else.

Here is the armadillo busy rooting up my seeds!
Last edited by FireCloud on Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: Young Doe At Mineral Station

Postby FireCloud » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:46 pm

Update:

The deer who live on my land have all discovered that I put more minerals at the site 3 days ago and they are all hitting it hard every single day. This morning I got 16 more photos of deer using the mineral site. Little Joe, Daisy Mae, Jack, and Eve all came by at various times between midnight and 9 AM. Little Joe, a strong, large yearling buck is using the site the most. He is just a pig at the site, hitting it about every 24 hours and staying at it for 15 minutes or so. Daisy and Eve are using it also but not as often or for more than about 5 minutes at a time. Jack, who appears to be the youngest fawn, just follows Daisy around but has not been actually using the lick.

Here are today's photos of these deer.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Return to Wildlife Photography