• Advertisement

Just Can't Get Enough

Please share you outdoor photography here.

Just Can't Get Enough

Postby FireCloud » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:54 pm

The deer just keep coming back for more at my mineral lick. They can't get enough of the stuff. If you don't have a mineral station, you really should create one. The deer love it and I have to believe they need the minerals or they would not keep coming back for more.

Here is last night's visitor.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: Just Can't Get Enough

Postby jv » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:58 pm

I have never made one nor where to or how to start one
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sat May 01, 2010 12:44 pm

Turkeyjv, its very cheap and easy to make a mineral lick. I have full details and hints posted in my "Life on Trehon Creek" blog for April 17 on this website. Just scroll down to that blog post and it should get you going, but if you have questions, post or email me privately and I will be happy to help you.

Salt and minerals (but not including corn, grains, or other feed items) can be offered to deer year round per MDWFP guidelines. But deer will hit it hard during the spring and far less at other periods of the year. In fact some times deer will basically ignore it. Bucks use the minerals the most, likely to get some of the calcium and other minerals useful for better antler growth. Does which are about to or which have birthed fawns also will use a mineral lick too. Fawns and other younger deer may not use it at all until they get older. But those younger deer will learn where it is from being with other deer and will eventually use it too.

If you create one put up a game camera and once the deer find it, you will start getting photos of a good portion of the deer whose range includes the mineral lick. Good luck with it!

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Sat May 01, 2010 2:01 pm

FireCloud, in some of the ares i hunt i would have to several camera's up...one on the lick and the rest watching the first camera and the one watching that one......people would still them as fast as up put them out.....i'm not saying we have a lot of thieves around there but you have to watch the stand your setting in at the time.

I will check out your blog.....

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sat May 01, 2010 11:21 pm

That reminds me of a "solution" someone I know (not me!) used to keep a thief from stealing the tag decal from their license plate when it was parked at an apartment complex at night. They just hot wired the tag to the car battery. No more theft after that!

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Sun May 02, 2010 9:13 am

FireCloud, i read the part about the mineral lick and copied for future reference (hope you don't mind) and them read some more of your blog......let me tell you that's some good writing and very interesting will go back later and read the rest....made me feel like i was there the whole time and seeing it as it happened. :2TU:

jv
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sun May 02, 2010 10:26 pm

Thanks for the compliment. I do enjoy doing freelance writing and really like doing the blog. Now that turkey season is over, I should have more time to devote to the blog.

For some reason, occasionally when I post something it puts it in there several times. I have no idea why and can't figure out how to stop it or delete the extra posts. I know it is annoying to the readers.

You certainly can copy anything you want to use from my blog. While technically everything is under a copyright, the material is "in the public domain" once I post it and it there for the benefit of the readers.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Mon May 03, 2010 6:57 am

FireCloud wrote:
For some reason, occasionally when I post something it puts it in there several times. I have no idea why and can't figure out how to stop it or delete the extra posts. I know it is annoying to the readers.

I know in the forum there is a box in the lower right hand corner ( the one with the X in it ) of your post that you can come back to and delete the post, but i think after a certain amount of time it won't let you do it.......but in the blog's i don't know about that.

jv
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Mon May 03, 2010 8:41 am

FireCloud wrote:For some reason, occasionally when I post something it puts it in there several times. I have no idea why and can't figure out how to stop it or delete the extra posts.

Click on "blog" at the top menu.
Click on "Write in Blog" from the "Blog Menu" at the left of your screen.
Scroll down and you will see all your blog posts and an option to "delete" that post.
gtk
Admin

Return to Wildlife Photography