• Advertisement

Oops! I forgot to sack up this snake!

Please share you outdoor photography here.

Oops! I forgot to sack up this snake!

Postby FireCloud » Sat May 08, 2010 1:09 am

While relocating my compost pile right before dark recently, I scooped up a large shovel full from the pile and out slithered this snake. I reacted instinctively and jabbed the snake with the tip of the shovel until I severed his head.

- 095.jpg

In the intensity of the snake slithering quickly toward my unprotected feet, I really just completely forgot some of you were expecting me to sack up any more snakes I encountered to bring to the MSDeer day cookout. I know a few of you truly desire to take one of these wiggly reptiles home with you to help eat your baby kittens or other things you need to get rid of.

But no worries, I have an abundant supply of snakes here so there are sure to be dozens more. I found a snake skin in my attic just this past week and have been keeping an eye open in case he drops down onto my bed in the middle of the night.

A few days before the cookout I will try to round up enough snakes for anyone who wants one. You don't have to take a snake home. If you prefer to roast and eat yours, that will be ok too. If you want a snake or two, leave me a post to let me know how many you want. Although Bullie has posted he does not want one, I really only need to know how many actually desire a snake and perhaps what kind of snake you might enjoy. I have some mean spirited cottonmouths here and some large king snakes. Probably have a few rattlers and other varieties but those tend to be the most abundant.

This snake was only about a foot and a half long and just a juvenile speckled king snake. I wrapped his carcass around a strawberry plant to give the birds a fright. Needless to say, none of the birds were willing to get close enough to bother that plump ripe strawberry beside the snake.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: Oops! I forgot to sack up this snake!

Postby LadyHunter » Sat May 08, 2010 6:50 am

FireCloud I dont believe I will need any snakes, I tend to have plenty of my own. Also if you are bringing snakes to the cookout I wont be attending,....nor will a lot of others! So please deliver the snakes another time...... :smash: :lol:
To Old to Grow up Now!
2016/2017 Team 7.. Bone Collectors
2014/2015 Team 4
Team Rajun Sardis Bucks 2013/2014 Winners

WEAR YOUR SAFETY HARNESS!!!
LadyHunter
Pope&Young

Postby BigRic » Sat May 08, 2010 6:56 am

scaredy cat that is a king snake.... never kill a king snake.....they will eat poisionous snakes....
LIFE MEMBER of VFW POST 9573
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

To walk the streets of gold.
You got to know the password.
It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Sat May 08, 2010 7:06 am

FireCloud there will plenty of snakes at the park so you can leave yours at home......what kind of car or truck will you be in so as i can tell the park ranger to check that vehicle.......i don't care ifin it's a king snake, grass snake or what kind if it crawls on this belly it's up to no good.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Sat May 08, 2010 8:05 am

pooor little king snake.. :pop:
gtk
Admin

Postby FireCloud » Sun May 09, 2010 12:02 am

BigRic wrote:scaredy cat that is a king snake.... never kill a king snake.....they will eat poisionous snakes....

Yeah, yeah, I know I should have let it go. You are right. Its just that I am of the "Old West" school of thought and always tend to shoot first and ask questions later. So any snake that heads for my feet when it is a little too dark for me to see it clearly gets its head chopped off first and its identity confirmed after that.

This was not a very smart snake. I had been working on shoveling the compost pile down for about a half hour before I got to his section of the pile. I would have thought any critter would have left the pile way before I uncovered his hiding place for its own safety. It also was not a good move on the snake's part to slither toward a guy wielding a shovel. A smarter snake would have headed out the opposite side of the pile. I am a believer in survival of the fittest, so what happened here is that one of the dumbest snakes alive was removed from the gene pool. In this way, my action in killing this snake is actually a good thing as I am assisting Mother Nature to create a smarter group of snakes.

Since the outcry is at least two to one in favor of me leaving all snakes at home on MSDeer day, I won't bother sacking up any for the cookout. If you want some snakes, you can just come to my place and help yourself. Take any you need. I have plenty.

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Sun May 09, 2010 6:53 am

FireCloud wrote: I would have thought any critter would have left the pile way before I uncovered his hiding place for its own safety. It also was not a good move on the snake's part to slither toward a guy wielding a shovel.

Naw.. He knew that he was a King Snake, and noooooo body hurts King Snakes.. So he thought he was safe :rotflol:
gtk
Admin

Postby jv » Sun May 09, 2010 7:24 am

gtk wrote:
FireCloud wrote: I would have thought any critter would have left the pile way before I uncovered his hiding place for its own safety. It also was not a good move on the snake's part to slither toward a guy wielding a shovel.

Naw.. He knew that he was a King Snake, and noooooo body hurts King Snakes.. So he thought he was safe :rotflol:

A snake is a snake and a dead one is a good one
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby BigRic » Sun May 09, 2010 11:37 am

sack up some and we can fry'um up at the deer day.....good eating
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sun May 09, 2010 9:14 pm

While walking up Trehon Creek this afternoon looking for crawfish, I came upon a small timber rattler lying in the water that some animal had killed. Probably one of the birds of prey got it, as a pair of red tail hawks like to work the creek most days. Its head was pecked to pieces but the remaining body looked ok. It was a small, 15" snake but has a nice thick body and it looked like a pretty fresh kill. I can go back up creek and get that for you if you like. I hear rattlesnake is pretty good meat.

I am pretty sure the mother of this young snake is lurking around nearby. She probably would be about 5 feet long and a couple inches around. If I get to her before the hawks do, I will save her for you to grill. But I want the rattles!

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby BigRic » Mon May 10, 2010 6:47 pm

go ahead and skin her out if you find her..
DESERT STORM 90/91

Team 1

It's "ROLL TIDE ROLL"
BigRic
Pope&Young

Return to Wildlife Photography