• Advertisement

feeders

Outdoor related gear talk

feeders

Postby LazyGhost » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:07 pm

Thinking of cheking out some tripod feeders. Any suggestions on the good or the bad? Price expectations?
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Re: feeders

Postby gtk » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:02 pm

Wait till next fall, and catch the ones that Sams Club has... 175llb feeder, with 8 feeding time programmable feeder. I think they had it for $89 bucks..

Or, just put a piece of 4" pvc pipe with a board under it, and tie it to a tree.
gtk
Admin

Postby LazyGhost » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:04 pm

89 buck....Gosh your cheap :D
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby hungryhuntergirl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:36 pm

I got mine from walmart for about 90 but it only has 2 feed times but it holds 300#
hungryhuntergirl
Long-Nosed Nanny

Postby STILLHUNTER » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:23 pm

I had a friend find mine in Bama some where for 50 300 pd Wildgame feeder with 4 times to feed came with battery and solar panel and just now really useing it to bring deer in a safe zone....
STILLHUNTER
dudesittinginatree

Postby dustygoodson » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:25 pm

moultrie feeders what we use i like them about 90 to 100 bucks
dustygoodson
Pope&Young

Postby LazyGhost » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:27 pm

I was looking at the Academy's salespaper and they got 30% off feeders and such that the price ends with .88 cents. I looked online and they have a Moultrie 30 gallon for $126.88. 30% off of that wouldnt be bad. I can get the solar panel and battery for like $40 bucks more. I looked at some reviews at other places and people seem to be happy with that feeder. I think i'll go check it out tomorrow.

I still may shop a little more and try and get a more expensive/better setup. I'm not wanting to invest a lot of money into it but I am wanting to make sure I have a quality feeder that I can leave unattended for at least 3 weeks at a time. I live on the property i'll be putting it so im not overly worried about leaving it in the woods, like i'd be if it was going at a deer camp.
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby hungryhuntergirl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:50 pm

For 3 weeks u will definitely have to have a large capacity and solar powered!!
hungryhuntergirl
Long-Nosed Nanny

Postby FireCloud » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:18 pm

Get a really big capacity feeder...the crows at your place are always hungry!
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby saddaddykiller » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:13 pm

gtk wrote:Wait till next fall, and catch the ones that Sams Club has... 175llb feeder, with 8 feeding time programmable feeder. I think they had it for $89 bucks..

Or, just put a piece of 4" pvc pipe with a board under it, and tie it to a tree.

i think that is illegal? or not?
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:26 am

uh... not illegal after hunting season? i think ? now you have gotten me to wondering...
gtk
Admin

Postby glenn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:37 am

I have wondered about that too. I think the law says off the ground and covered, or broadcast. If it's on a board i would think that is off the ground, but I could be wrong, I know I was once.
glenn
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:56 am

technically its off the ground, and its covered.

i used to take a piece of 4" pvc pipe (like sewer pipe) , cut it about 4' long, and put a cap on it. then I would cut a notch in the bottom a little wider than a 1" board, and glue/tie a piece of 1x6 in it.. I would tie it too a tree, keeping the bottom about 6" to a 1' off the ground, and fill with corn.

some other's i know used teh same type feeder, and the deer would have a groove worn out of the board where they licked it so much..
gtk
Admin

Postby FireCloud » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:56 pm

I have kept my game camera on a couple of different feeders for weeks at a time and recorded everything that came to eat. What that taught me was nearly all the corn was consumed by non-target species, such as raccoons, possums, crows, etc., and NOT by deer. Deer would visit and eat some of the corn now and then but it definitely was not worth the cost of the corn, batteries for the feeder, and trips in and out to fill the feeder.

This is one time I have to agree with the MDWFP. The most beneficial and cost effective feeding of deer is accomplished via food plots planted with forage that is primarily eaten by deer and not by the non-target species. The money spent on corn and batteries will pay for a lot of food plot seeds. If you plant the right forage, the raccoons, possums, crows, and other nuisance animals will not be eating your food plot but the deer sure will!

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby LazyGhost » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:49 pm

Ended up going to Academy but they were out of feeders. I went by Bass Pro this afternoon and they have a variety of feeders to choose from. Among those they have a variety of Moultrie feeders that dont look bad. The price varied but there were a couple for $129 that looked good. All I need now is for em to go on sale.
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby saddaddykiller » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:25 pm

FireCloud wrote:I have kept my game camera on a couple of different feeders for weeks at a time and recorded everything that came to eat. What that taught me was nearly all the corn was consumed by non-target species, such as raccoons, possums, crows, etc., and NOT by deer. Deer would visit and eat some of the corn now and then but it definitely was not worth the cost of the corn, batteries for the feeder, and trips in and out to fill the feeder.

This is one time I have to agree with the MDWFP. The most beneficial and cost effective feeding of deer is accomplished via food plots planted with forage that is primarily eaten by deer and not by the non-target species. The money spent on corn and batteries will pay for a lot of food plot seeds. If you plant the right forage, the raccoons, possums, crows, and other nuisance animals will not be eating your food plot but the deer sure will!

yes firecloud is right...foodplots are very beneficial....also fertilizing feed trees is a good idea......one of our neighbors has started using some giant feeders, this is i think the 3rd season they have had them out and i can tell you that we donot see nearly as many deer during daylight times in that area then we did BEFORE they started using these feeders, it has simply turned the deer nocturnal.......the days where we used to see 10+ deer in a foodplot in a evening is OVER because of feeders...might happen in october but thats it
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby LazyGhost » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:22 pm

Saddaddy, the reason yall aint seein nearly as many deer in that area might be cause theyre standing under your neighbors feeder. :D

Feeders have there purpose and so do plots. I do agree that, if done in excess, suplementally feeding deer can be counter productive by making deer more nocturnal.
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby hungryhuntergirl » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:46 pm

If u use feeders on timers then the deer will be there when the feeders go off regardless of the time. I have a friend that goes our every evening with a coffee can and puts it in a trough and sometime the deer are waiting on him
There is room for all gods creatures right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy!!
hungryhuntergirl
Long-Nosed Nanny

Postby saddaddykiller » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:28 pm

LazyGhost wrote:Saddaddy, the reason yall aint seein nearly as many deer in that area might be cause theyre standing under your neighbors feeder. :D

Feeders have there purpose and so do plots. I do agree that, if done in excess, suplementally feeding deer can be counter productive by making deer more nocturnal.

well...they claimed they only killed 2 bucks this whole season which is bad for there property so they didnt see em during daylight either......
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:57 pm

hungryhuntergirl wrote:If u use feeders on timers then the deer will be there when the feeders go off regardless of the time. I have a friend that goes our every evening with a coffee can and puts it in a trough and sometime the deer are waiting on him

There must be a lot of lazy deer or very hungry deer at your friend's place if they are standing around waiting for him to bring them feed. I have experimented for a full year with various feeder techniques and recorded the results via a game camera focused on the feeder site. The camera lets me know exactly when deer show up, how many feed, etc. so there is no "guesswork" as to what may or may not be eating at the feeder site.

I have tried three different feeders, one being an "on demand" feeder, another being a "daylight and dusk" feeder, and another being a programmed timer feeder which can be set to dispense food at whatever time you desire. I have hung all three at the same location, but changing them out after each was up for a couple months or so. Here is what I found. Your mileage, as they say, may vary.

All the feeders with timers were set to broadcast enough corn to leave sufficient food on the ground. At no point EVER, in a year's time, did I get a single photo of any deer waiting on the feeders to discharge. At least in my location, deer do not show up to wait on the feeder to dispense corn. Rarely did I even get a photo of a deer coming to the feeder within 30 minutes before or after the actual time the corn was dispensed. All the feeders made ample noise so that any deer hanging around could easily know the feeder activated.

In a year's time I got plenty of deer at the feeder site. But the patterns recorded by the game camera indicate the deer show up mostly at random times whenever they happen to decide to do so. Some days (and nights) no deer would visit the feeder site. Other days some would arrive at any given time day or night, eat some corn, and move on. One or two deer were "corn junkies" and typically would make several trips per day to the site to eat a few bites each time. I figured they bedded down nearby and simply munched a snack as they got up to stretch their legs, get water, etc. at periodic intervals. These corn junkie deer seemed to enjoy having a nearby convenient all you can eat corn buffet at my expense.

While the feeders were up, unless they ran out of corn before I refilled, there was nearly always some corn on the ground for deer (or any other wildlife) to eat. So it was a continuously available supply. I feel the deer soon learned there would likely always be corn at the site and simply made no specific efforts to be there when the feeders dispense. There are not a lot of deer on my land, so there was not a lot of pressure from other deer competing for the corn. When there are many deer showing up and all the corn gets eaten quickly, it might force all the corn hungry deer to show up at feeding time in order to be sure they got some corn to eat. The competition for food may be what makes deer stand around waiting for someone to come fill a trough. But in my case, with feeders dropping food on a regular basis, the deer have no special reason to visit the feeder at any given time and can simply drop by when or if they feel like it.

As expected, when the deer did visit, most of the time it was at night. Typically the deer would remain at the feeder site much longer at night, often hanging around for 20 minutes or so. In the daytime, the deer's visits usually were less than five minutes. Mostly the deer simply took a few bites while strolling by and did not linger during the daylight hours.

What did show up regularly, like clockwork, were the raccoons. I have pictures of as many as eight raccoons eating the corn like pigs. The raccoons would start visting the site shortly after dark and return two to four times during the night to eat more corn. Other corn eating critters like possums would also visit regularly at night while the squirrels, birds, and other beasts hogged the corn during the day. Quite frankly, the deer never ate more than perhaps 25% of the corn. At least 75% of it was eaten by other creatures.

My experiment with corn feeders showed me it did little to attract deer to a location on a regular, patterned basis, with the occasional exception of one or two corn junkie deer. The feeders probably did keep a few deer coming by now and then so at least they would be in the area, thus potentially giving a shot opportunity as they headed for the feeder.

The most interesting fact I discovered is that once the raccoons find out corn is dispensed, they permanently log that location into their nightly travels and check it each and every night that rolls, whether or not there is a feeder mounted or any corn available. Weeks after the feeders are taken down such as during archery season, the raccoons still come by multiple times per night, dig in the soil, and hope to uncover some corn they previously missed on their first hundred trips. Thus, for coon hunting, you can wait the prescribed 10 day time after the feeder is removed before hunting and just sit in a tree stand overlooking the feeder site. The raccoons will simply arrive for you to shoot any given night.

If you keep your game camera pointing at the feeder location, when the raccoons arrive, it will flash and let you know it is time to start killing coons! All you have to do is sit in the dark and wait until the camera starts taking pics!

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby hungryhuntergirl » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:53 am

They would be standing at the trough when he got home, would run to the woodline when he got out and the after he put the corn out and he got in the house they would come back to the trough (it was empty before he put the corn out... He would only put out a coffee can full at a time)
There is room for all gods creatures right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy!!
hungryhuntergirl
Long-Nosed Nanny

Postby Ironwood » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:49 am

Yep feeders work. Along with my automatic feeders I also use tube feeders duct taped to trees. I might suggest you use stronger PVC than Sewer and Drain. This ol' buck ran a three pointer away from this feeder. I suppose he had kicked the bottom off the feeder earlier that night. You can see the bottom of the feeder over on the right.

Placed near cover, a tube type feeder can be very productive. One drawback of the tube feeder, if you have hogs they will empty the feeder the first night after you fill it. Texas is very liberal when it comes to game feeders. What's legal here in Texas may not be legal MS.
Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.
Ironwood
Gone but not Forgotten

Postby gtk » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:11 am

:)
gtk
Admin

Return to Gear