• Advertisement

A Peaceful Dove

Please share you outdoor photography here.

A Peaceful Dove

Postby FireCloud » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:39 pm

Throughout history, the dove has stood as a symbol of peace. True to legend, this wild mourning dove I photographed this morning exhibits a calm, peaceful nature. I took three photos of her from 6 feet away while she sat calmly on her nest, never moving or even looking concerned about three humans talking and walking directly under her nest. Our heads were only about a foot or so below her perch as we passed by.

Remarkably, she has chosen to make her nest atop a front porch column of a busy leasing office at an apartment complex. Her nest faces the door so she watches people come and go all day long without ever leaving her nest, even when the people stop and talk on the porch!

- 148.jpg

The leasing office sits on the bank of a Pearl River backwater slough, which is abundantly filled with wildlife of all kinds. This dove's nest is well sheltered from the elements, nicely shaded, and hidden from direct view. Food sources and water are close at hand. All in all, it is a very good nest site even though it puts the dove and her chicks in extremely close proximity to humans.

I believe animals are just as fascinated with the actions of humans as we tend to be with their actions. This fascination and curiosity, I think, is why so many times animals try to build nests in or around human occupation rather than in the natural woods and fields where they might never encounter any people. It sure looks like this mourning dove enjoys watching the people go by all day while she is engaged in the boring task of sitting on her eggs.
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: A Peaceful Dove

Postby gtk » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:17 pm

good pic! isn't it kind of early for them to be on the nest ?
gtk
Admin

Postby FireCloud » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:42 pm

gtk wrote:good pic! isn't it kind of early for them to be on the nest ?

I thought so too. But she is sure sitting on her eggs!

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby hungryhuntergirl » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:21 pm

Have u seen all the buzzards that roost over the signs above hwy 80 and the stack?
There is room for all gods creatures right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy!!
hungryhuntergirl
Long-Nosed Nanny

Postby FireCloud » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:03 pm

hungryhuntergirl wrote:Have u seen all the buzzards that roost over the signs above hwy 80 and the stack?

Have not paid any attention to buzzards at the stack or on 80, but I will start looking for them. The Pearl River is just west of the stack so the buzzards are likely hanging out there looking for meals. I am pretty sure all the buzzards in that area are escapees from Lazyghost's land, aka "Buzzard Acres." His land is ground zero for buzzards!! :D

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Return to Wildlife Photography