• Advertisement

My Axis Deer

Please share you outdoor photography here.

My Axis Deer

Postby Ironwood » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:30 pm

My brother and sister-in-law had a Ranch north of Leaky, Texas. One day, some years ago, after round up my sister-in-law Joan, my wife Jeanne, my brother, and I, were riding around the ranch in the pickup looking for strays. Joan was driving and Jeanne was in the cab with her. My bother and I were sitting on some bales of hay looking over the cab of the pickup. I had my wife's Remington 788 in 6MM Remington in the back with us.

There are lots of Axis deer on that ranch. I had killed a few before this buck, and I killed a few after. However, since good Axis bucks were selling for $750.00 at the time, I had always killed smaller axis for meat.

Anyway, this ol' buck stepped out in the road in front of us and just stood there. I wasn't going to shoot him but my sister-in-law insisted. With all the talking and moving around the buck had walked across the road and into a small clearing on the side of the road.

At the shot the buck went down, but acted like he would like to get back up. My sister-in-law, like a calf roper, gunned that pickup and across the clearing we went. By the time she had the pickup stopped Joan was out the door and running to the buck. When she got to the buck she grabbed one antler with both hands and stomped her boot on the other antler. Pulled that bucks head back and said "stick him!" And, thats what I did! :lol:

Oh I forgot to mention, my sister-in-law was the daughter of a sure enough big game hunter. At one time she had the #2 Non-Typical Mule Deer in the Boone and Crockett record book.

Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.
Ironwood
Gone but not Forgotten

Re: My Axis Deer

Postby terry08 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:48 pm

Great story Ironwood, and good looking Axis Deer. :2TU: :2TU:
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby LazyGhost » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:29 pm

Great story! Great deer! Nice cap! :P
LazyGhost
Pope&Young

Postby Ironwood » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:29 pm

Thank you Terry. I gained a new respect for my sister-in-law that day!

Thank you LazyGhost. You like the Sherwin Williams cap, huh.
Ironwood
Gone but not Forgotten

Postby gtk » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:11 am

enjoyed the story..
gtk
Admin

Postby Ironwood » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:34 pm

Thank you gtk, glad you enjoyed the story. There are some thing, even at my age, one remembers as though it happened yesterday. For me this is one of those things.
Ironwood
Gone but not Forgotten

Postby saddaddykiller » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:31 pm

nice deer.......i hope one of those gets out of the high fence near where i hunt so i can kill one of those one day..
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
saddaddykiller
Pope&Young

Postby Ironwood » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:29 pm

Saddaddy. I was hunting on a ranch near Rock Springs. One late afternoon a guy for another ranch came in asking if we knew what he had just killed. When I looked down into that pickup bed lo and behold there was a Nilgai cow. I thought it was sort of odd that he had killed something without knowing what it was. You just never know what might be coming by your stand. When those hormone raging male horned critters, they have down in that area, get to fighting each other through a high fence. The fence is going to be the loser!

Here's two young Axis bucks practicing for when they get bigger. :)

Ironwood
Gone but not Forgotten

Return to Wildlife Photography