• Advertisement

Camo Wearing Worm

Please share you outdoor photography here.

Camo Wearing Worm

Postby Ironwood » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:07 pm

Day before yesterday I was out looking at some Blackeyed Susans growing in my front yard. I was looking for things like, butterflies, bees, and spiders to take a photo of. On one of the Blackeyed Susans I saw something that looked like a tiny piece of trash. While I was looking the "trash" moved! The trash turned out to be a very very tiny worm. The wind had picked up and it was getting later in the day so I wasn't able to get an acceptable photo of the little squirt.

Yesterday morning I went back out to see if I could find the worm again. Wow! The worm was on the same flower but, had more than doubled in size overnight.

Here is the worm on the flower. Click on the thumbs to see the full size photo.

Here's a close up of the worm. Seems like he has some sort of camouflage going. The black hairy things sticking out on him looks like the stamens of the flowers.

I checked out the other flowers and found one more worm. He was a little bigger than the first one. This one had a little more camouflage than the first one. Something that looked like wings. I'm not sure just what those are.

This morning I went out to check on the worms. I found the first one had added a different camo pattern. :) I also noticed half of two of the rays just to the right of the worm was gone.

Here's what the first worm looked like this morning. I think he swaped the black hairy camo for parts of the rays.

Anyone got an idea as to the identity of this critter? The worms are eating the flowers off the cones of the Blackeyed Susan.
Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.
Ironwood
Gone but not Forgotten

Re: Camo Wearing Worm

Postby terry08 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:07 pm

Great photos Ironwood. Those are some very strange looking worms. Never seen one before. Thanks for sharing.
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:44 am

That is a strange looking worm....nice pictures
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby Ironwood » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:46 pm

Thanks Terry and JV. The worms are no more! They were eating all the blooms from the Blackeyed Susan. Eating the flowers would prevent the Blackeyed Susans from making seeds. When I went out yesterday morning and found the worms had moved to other bossoms I had to put a stop to them.

The big yellow "petals" of the Blackeyed Susan are actually called Rays. The tiny little yellow dots on the black cones are the real flowers. The tiny yellow dots are what produces the seeds. Those little yellow dots were what the worms were eating.

Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.
Ironwood
Gone but not Forgotten

Postby terry08 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:46 pm

Keep the photos coming. They are all great.
A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE
HUNTING IS NOT A SPORT, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Be Carefull of The Words You Say. Just Keep Them Soft, And Sweet. You never Know From Day To Day, Which Ones You'll Have To Eat.
terry08
Pope&Young

Return to Wildlife Photography