• Advertisement

North Delta Scenes

Please share you outdoor photography here.

North Delta Scenes

Postby FireCloud » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:44 am

While traveling through the North Delta this past week I stopped along the roadways in a few locations to snap some shots of the scenery. There were simply improptu roadside shots taken with my standard work camera, not professionally composed shots taken with tripods and better equipment. I really like the Delta scenery as it is some of the most photogenic scenery anywhere. See what you think.

- 368.jpg

- 365.jpg

- 180.jpg
2013-2014 Team Double Drop Tine

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Re: North Delta Scenes

Postby FireCloud » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:52 am

And for the bird lovers, here are a few I hope you enjoy. Remember you can click on the photo to enlarge it.

- 173.jpg

- 241.jpg

- 203.jpg

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth" Genesis 9:2
FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:56 am

And a few more.

- 265.jpg

- 329.jpg

- 285.jpg

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby gtk » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:41 am

8)
gtk
Admin

Postby jv » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:02 am

Loved the pictures....what part of the north delta where you in.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:07 am

jv wrote:Loved the pictures....what part of the north delta where you in.

The portion of my trip through the Delta was from Greenwood to Greenville then to Yazoo City and back to Jackson. The pictures were taken at various locations along the route.

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby jv » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:23 pm

You can always find many scenes to photograph anywhere you go but most of the time we are in to big of a hurry and don't take the time to see what's all around us......i always have a camera with me even if running to the store.
RESPECT THE LAND AS WELL AS THE GAME YOU HUNT

'Life is like a coin You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once'
jv
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:27 pm

JV, when it comes to photographing wildlife or even nature scenes, the opportunities to get good shots come about when you least expect them. You have to simply take the opportunities as they arise. I usually keep a camera on the seat of my vehicle as I drive.

I happened upon the birds at 7 pm when the sun was going down. That is one of the opportune times to photograph wildlife as the light is less harsh. I had the benefit of being elevated on the road shoulder so that I could get a fairly good angle on the birds in flight. Because the birds were between me and the sun and I was shooting toward the sun, I was able to get some shots with the wings being "backlighted" by the sun. Professional photographers would spend countless hours trying to be in the same position yet I was able to simply pull off on the shoulder and start taking photos. It was just a lucky day.

I shot photos for 30 minutes of these birds and snapped more than 100 pics until the set of batteries in the camera died. One of the secrets of good photography, especially when the sunlight is going down, is to snap pictures non-stop, which is exactly what I did.

Capturing a bird in flight is not as simple as it looks, especially with a hand held camera not mounted on a tripod. The birds are moving rapidly and there is no time to frame the photo the way you want, adjust settings, etc. My trick for photographing birds in flight is to focus and adjust the camera for a specific spot where the birds are flying to and from, such as where they are diving for fish, then "time" their flight to where the shutter is squeezed to trigger the picture being taken as they enter the field of view. If you time it just right, the bird will be in the approximate center of the photo when it's picture is taken and the settings will be about right. Of course, I have a LOT of blank frames where I did not get the timing right! But I simply discard those.

I agree with you...the scenes are certainly there in Mississippi to photograph if you have a photographer's eye to see them as you come upon them and to visualize how to compose an interesting shot.

I enjoy "hobby" photography a lot and have been doing it now for at least 40 years. My father was an avid photographer all his life and did some professional photography work in his retirement years. He taught me a lot of the things I know and I have also taken some professional photography courses, learned to do my own darkroom work for black and white film developing, and take as many as 300 to 400 or more photos on any given day in my work. I am not a professional by any means and most of my shots are just improptu shots taken as the opportunity arises using whatever equipment I have with me.

Because of the limitations of the equipment I usually have with me, and the lack of any prior preparation for taking the shots, I am exceedingly lucky to get the quality of some of the photos I do manage to take. I just don't have the time to haul all my really good photography equipment into the woods, set it up in a planned photo shoot, and spend the hours it can take to get a truly awesome "magazine cover shot" image. I hope that in the future when I can "semi-retire" then I will have time to do some serious wildlife and nature scene photography using my best equipment. The difference will be amazingly better!

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:28 pm

Here are a few more of the birds.

- 217.jpg

- 345.jpg

- 314.jpg

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Postby FireCloud » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:33 pm

And some more.

- 286.jpg

- 334.jpg

- 360.jpg

FireCloud
Pope&Young

Return to Wildlife Photography